Worms in poop?

PViolet

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2021
I just went to feed my hens and I noticed wiggly white things in poop... I suppose those are worms? They are 9 months old and I didn't deworm them. What should I do? Are eggs safe to eat? Are these a threat to human? Ughh... :heany advice would be appreciated!
Photos below

Attachments

• 20210223_141310.jpg
    20210223_141310.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210223_141328.jpg
    20210223_141328.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 23
I understand, thank you! I'll know more tomorrow day, I've read few articles. It's hard to get rid off of them right? I mean, are they really persistent? What are the chances of my hens getting rid off of them?
If you deworm them regularly and switch the runs twice a year etc. and try to keep them dry, so not to invite slugs, you might get rid of them for quite some time.
You could also collect the poop for some time in the evenings, so not to leave the tapeworms segments to infest the whole run.

But they might be able to contract it again just by eating ants or any other insect that might be infested. No guarantees, it is just the risk we all have to live with when letting our poultry forage outside.

But it is important to treat the chickens as soon as you notice the segments in their poop, because leaving the issue untreated, they will starve the chickens slowly by abstracting their vitamins and other nutrients from the feed.

Those look like maggots. maggots are nothing to worry about.
I'm new to all this so still learning... I have never hit the 'worms chapter' lol... Are you sure? The first photo was taken just when 1 hen pooped while I was there, I had to check her poop too and it had those in it as you can see... 🤔

What should I treat them with? Also, do they come back after a treatment or gone for good?
It is difficult to get rid of tapeworms and it needs persistence and a good dewormer.

If possible, switching between different runs can help to avoid immediate reinfestation.

It is difficult to get rid of tapeworms and it needs persistence and a good dewormer.

If possible, switching between different runs can help to avoid immediate reinfestation.
I see... what about the eggs? Safe to eat? And thank you

Back
Top Bottom