Worms to Respiratory Issues

DyausPitir

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
I have an Ameraucana rooster who I recently bought and he quickly within the first week became extremely lethargic and losing lots of weight. I diagnosed as worms specifically round worms and gape worm (I was unsure of Gape worm until he actually coughed one up). He has been on a treatment of safeguard fenbendazole for a few days now and is not showing any signs of improvement. My next theory is that now that the worms are gone he has succumb to a respiratory infection. He is still eating and drinking very little and is lethargic. He hardly opens his eyes. He has continued to gape and now sounds like a gurgling is occurring when he does. we have switched to giving him an antibiotic we have used before, but i am not sure if it is any good anymore, it seems like some moisture got in it and there was a little caking at the top. I believe it is a version of tetracycline. I have some Tylan 50 on order. I am curious to know if anyone has any other suggestions or things I might try?

I have an Ameraucana rooster who I recently bought and he quickly within the first week became extremely lethargic and losing lots of weight. I diagnosed as worms specifically round worms and gape worm (I was unsure of Gape worm until he actually coughed one up). He has been on a treatment of safeguard fenbendazole for a few days now and is not showing any signs of improvement. My next theory is that now that the worms are gone he has succumb to a respiratory infection. He is still eating and drinking very little and is lethargic. He hardly opens his eyes. He has continued to gape and now sounds like a gurgling is occurring when he does. we have switched to giving him an antibiotic we have used before, but i am not sure if it is any good anymore, it seems like some moisture got in it and there was a little caking at the top. I believe it is a version of tetracycline. I have some Tylan 50 on order. I am curious to know if anyone has any other suggestions or things I might try?

I do not know how you are doing the safe guard but I know from using It a lot that mixed in their only drinking water will clear up their worm problem in 3 days. I have only given tylan50 and never tried anything else. I know with a bad case of worms---tape worms for me it gets them down so low their immune seems to be down and they can catch other sickness easier. I usually see some improvement in a few days and a lot of weight gain in a month. I have used vet-rx but it did not seem to do much good. Good Luck

Last edited:
no human antibiotics I can use, but the Tylan 50 should be here monday. The safeguard dosage I used varied a little bit as info here has been somewhat conflicting. The first day I was using an 8 to 1 cc water to safeguard mix but then changed to a 3cc per gallon of water based on more information I found. The info I have found on dosing for that has been terribly conflicting but I think the worm issue has been taken care of. I am no longer seeing roundworms in his stool and can see no gape worms in his throat.

no human antibiotics I can use, but the Tylan 50 should be here monday. The safeguard dosage I used varied a little bit as info here has been somewhat conflicting. The first day I was using an 8 to 1 cc water to safeguard mix but then changed to a 3cc per gallon of water based on more information I found. The info I have found on dosing for that has been terribly conflicting but I think the worm issue has been taken care of. I am no longer seeing roundworms in his stool and can see no gape worms in his throat.
The 3 cc gallon amount is not enough. This book says 30 mg/kg for 5 days, which is 0.14 ml per pound orally for five days, or a 5 pound bird would get 0.7 ml orally for five days.

Gapeworm

And many people use this:

Anyway, the more pressing issue is the possibility that he has a respiratory infection, and he probably can't wait until Monday to start treatment. Can you take him to a vet?

to a 3cc per gallon of water based on more information I found. The info I have found on dosing for that has been terribly conflicting but I think the worm issue has been taken care of. I am no longer seeing roundworms in his stool and can see no gape worms in his throat.
If you need to mix some more in the future---Quit looking, From the State Vet----10 ml per gallon of fresh water, mixed fresh every morning--pouring out the old if any is left. That's 2 1/2ml per quart if you need a smaller amount. No need to mix more than you need----Shake the bottle---let it sit a few---then draw out the proper amount for the water you using----mix good. Do not allow any other water and no free ranging for sure if they can find other water. This works, used it many times with a flock of up to 1200+.

FYI, Safeguard is not very water soluble and will settle very quickly, so it's best to give it orally. Disclaimer... I am not a vet, but neither is the man that runs First State, he just calls himself a Dr.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom