Worms - treated, what to expect

chloeonz

Chirping
Feb 12, 2019
New Zealand
E3CA2903-5ECD-4538-AA5A-8169A7A3ED87.jpeg B79BE07F-EFE5-4770-8471-BCF3155CDA71.jpeg 53ABBD6C-3836-4CCF-A739-54FEB7BFC3EA.jpeg Hi, I treated our girls for worms on Tuesday - it is Thursday.
what can i expect to see, and when will pooey bums clear up?
One of pur girls was doing diarrhoea that was caramel brown, now it has gone dark but the white part is all stringy, not a clump (see pics)
When will the worms be gone, is it over a day or does it take up to a week? Most if not all girls poos are looking much better. I have just seen a couple poos on the ground that are caramel, not all the poos, which is an improvement .
Should i be concerned about this poo

Did you have an initial fecal done?

What were you trying to treat for, and what wormer did you use?

No, but they haven’t ever been wormed (the Orp that we got recently had pooey feathers but i think thats normal for her as her bum feathers are plenty - so would be hard keeping them clean), so it wasn’t until our mother hen started getting a pooey bum really bad someone said i should get her wormed, especially since shes been fine/clean before.
We live in New Zealand I should add.
I did an all wormer with Aviverm. It covers intestinal worms: Ascaridia spp., Capillaria spp., Heterakis spp.

I don't think those photos show evidence of infection with worms. If the abnormal poop was caused by worms, the Aviverm should work very quickly. They can get a poopy butt from other things, so if they don't improve quickly, I'd suspect something else. Be wary of fly strike in the meantime.

I don't think those photos show evidence of infection with worms. If the abnormal poop was caused by worms, the Aviverm should work very quickly. They can get a poopy butt from other things, so if they don't improve quickly, I'd suspect something else. Be wary of fly strike in the meantime.
Ok as you suggested something else is going on, a quick google got me thinking. Diarrhoea can be caused by high protein or change in feed. I HAVE been changing their feed to a HIGHER protein level (16% from 14%). Yesterday was the first day I gave them only that feed (as I had been mixing the 2 pellets but have now run out of the old bag). She is a young girl just starting laying so maybe she still getting used to the higher protein??

Back
Top Bottom