Worms

Yes. We've been back to the vet. The main scab came off and another less scary one formed. I will read the information you provided. I've given her oyster shell as per the vets advice but whether she's consumed it is another question.
Thank you.

Oyster shell is different from grit. Oyster shell is a soluble form of calcium while grit is usually made of crushed granite and is kept in the gizzard to help grind up foods. If she is eating anything besides her layer feed/crumbles then she may need some grit to help process that food.

I'm glad to wound is healing.

Keep us updated
smile.png

I've offered grit. She seems dehydrated. Not eating. Twisting her neck now and then. I'm going to try giving her water with a probiotic in it. I tried one of the recipes suggested in the link you gave me. I feel a little like I'm torturing her. I only gave her one syringe of the mixture suggested. I'm afraid I'm a little skittish right now. We've come so far. Probably like people, the antibiotic caused a growth of yeast? She's not a fan of the syringe.

If she is dehydrated, then definitely push fluids. A probiotic may help since she's been on antibiotics so long. If she won't "drink" then maybe you can mix some yogurt or vitamin water into her feed to make a wet mash, that will at least get some fluids into her. Also a little watermelon or cantaloupe?

You may want to check her crop to see if that is really a problem or not. Check her crop right before bed, then first thing in the morning. It should have food at night and then be pretty much empty in the morning.

We have been successful getting her to eat and drink sporadically. I think she's failing. Spoke to the vet and he agrees. He had given her a 50-50 chance from the beginning. Something else is going on. It's a very sad situation. it might be possible that the maggots had caused more damage than I realized.
I have very much appreciated the information and support you provided. I hope I can keep the rest of he girls healthy.

Have a little feel of her crop and see if it feels spongy. The water pouring out and going off her food again sounds a bit like the start of sour crop and all the antibiotics could have killed off her good bacteria meaning the crop slows down and that can happen.

I would straight away get her on probiotic powder from your vets. Lot stronger than what you will get from yoghurt.

If the crop is spongy either get an anti fungal from your vet or use baby oral thrush drops as per directions. I just put the drops on a little bit of bread and fed that to mine about an hour before giving a small feed. Keep food to small amounts for a couple of days and only feed her easily digested foods. Steer clear of seeds and grass etc.

Start introducing a little cooked rolled oats to her food. Oats feed the good bacteria encouraging them to breed and multiply so are great for healthy crops.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, you may want to clean her up.
Give her a good soak in a warm epsom salt solution. If her bum is poopy wash her with a little soapy water first (a drop or two of dish soap is fine). Then give her a soak in some epsom salt water.
Check her vent and surrounding tissue for any signs of wounds to make sure the worms your are seeing is actually internal parasites (cecal worms, round worms, etc.) and not maggots in a wound. Wash/flush the area really good. If you have her inside with the A/C going, dry her off well or you can use a hair dryer on low/cool to help dry the feathers a bit, you don't want her chilled.

I know it sounds disgusting and it can be. I haven't encountered worms yet, but dirty bum(s) I have. It just takes a little time, wear gloves and start working the soapy water into the vent feathers (a lot of it is fluff so it's not too bad). Once you get going, you will do just fine. Talk to your "patient" - she may talk back and you can have a conversation
smile.png
I've found that slow movement(s) and a calm soothing voice really helps. Have everything you think you may need ready. Extra water, towels, a wound ointment/spray if you encounter any wounds, gloves, etc. A helper is great if you have one, but you can do it just fine by yourself.

Thanks for the info. I think my girl has maggots from reading other post also. I think she may have a wound ? Just saw the worms and came in to read post in hopes of info ..I have never seen this before so this has been very helpful. I will give the Epsom salts bath a try.

Thanks for the info. I think my girl has maggots from reading other post also. I think she may have a wound ? Just saw the worms and came in to read post in hopes of info ..I have never seen this before so this has been very helpful. I will give the Epsom salts bath a try.
@Su964HR Welcome To BYC

If you have photos you would like to share that would be good.
I agree with @casportpony is you are seeing maggots those need to be taken care of asap. Epsom salts will be fine - make sure if there are maggots in a wound to pick them all out even if you have to use tweezers.

Let us know how your hen is doing.

I am going to go out to see if I can get a picture of what I think maybe the wound. I am going to do the Epsom salts bath again. It seemed to help. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom