Worms

mcdaid72000

Chirping
Jul 19, 2018
Wondering if one of my roosters has worms and what is the best treatment option for worms. I am assuming my rooster has worms b/c he is occasionally stretching his neck and opening his beak wide. He is also my oldest chicken I have, so would like to make sure I take good care of him. Any advice would be appreciated

Occasional neck stretching as you describe can also be them adjusting their crop, moving food around in there to help it empty better, especially if they've eaten a big meal. Feel his crop to make sure it's normal, not very hard, or very soft and squishy. He should have food in is crop when he goes to roost at night, and it should be empty 1st thing in the morning before access to food and water. If that's the case, then his crop is functioning normally. The crop is on the lower right side of the neck/chest. Picture below is of a very full crop.
crop3-1024x900.jpg

In addition to what Coach723 stated regarding adjusting the crop, a respiratory disease can be a cause but there are usually other symptoms as well.
A fecal test is best though.

Back
Top Bottom