1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worms...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brian, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    I was reading some advice on a feed sheet just a moment ago. It's pretty typical stuff, but the comment "treat promptly for worms and parasites" caught my eye. How does one know their hens have worms? How do you treat?

Lice and mites, that I can relate to, as they are seen on inspection. Worms though? Please enlighten me?

Thank you!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    With worms, you will see it in their poo. The chickens will also seem to eat a ton and be on the thin side.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You will see blood in their stool, and like terrielacy said, they will feel very thin through the breast area. You can see more on worming on my site HERE . Good luck!

4. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i use wazine to worm my poultry and demacious earth to get rid of external parasites

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Some worms, such as round worms, can often be seen..but not all internal parasites can be seen.

best method is to take a fecal sample to a vet for worm check. sometimes called a "fecal float".
    the test will tell you if they have worms and/or protozoa and what kind.

droppings can sometimes be foamy.

Wazine 17 (active ingrediant: piperazine) treats adult round worms.
    treatment should be repeated in about 14 days.
    Wazine 17 is usually widely available, inexpensive, and easy to use.
    but it doesn't treat other kinds of worms. For other kinds of worms, you need a more broad spectrum wormer.
    Round worms are common in chickens.

as to mites and lice.. mites can sometimes only be seen on the bird at night..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by