Wormy chicken-

tsbonin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Vivian
Have a 2 yr old hen I thought was egg bound. After isolation and further checking found small white worms in poop. She was eating some at the time of isolation and before worm treatment. I treated entire flock with Wazine. No other birds are acting lethargic or sick, just this one hen. I gave her two dropper fulls of the treated water to be sure she was dosed with wormer. She does not stand up, eat, but acts like she wants to drink water but has not. She just sits and looks listless. Any ideas how to get her strength back up after being wormy?

I don't think two droppers of treated water are enough if you're actually seeing the worms in her poop. If she's that heavily infested I would treat her with a direct dose of Safeguard drench (it labeled for goats). Give her 1/2 cc in a small syringe right down her throat. Give her a second dose in 7-10 days. Throw away any eggs for 24 days from the first treatment.

Have a 2 yr old hen I thought was egg bound. After isolation and further checking found small white worms in poop. She was eating some at the time of isolation and before worm treatment. I treated entire flock with Wazine. No other birds are acting lethargic or sick, just this one hen. I gave her two dropper fulls of the treated water to be sure she was dosed with wormer. She does not stand up, eat, but acts like she wants to drink water but has not. She just sits and looks listless. Any ideas how to get her strength back up after being wormy?

Small white worms could be cecal worms. Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms, not cecal worms. I highly recommend you follow 'Rungirl's' recommendation using the safeguard liquid goat wormer...worm all your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom