Worried about a chick *Updated with photos*

I also have two little bitty ladies. Rhode Island Red chicks. They are about 5 weeks old and half the size of the rest. They are just as roudy as the others though. They also seem to eat more than the others but, don't seem to be gettin any bigger.

She looks healthy in the pictures. People are different sizes, also, you know. She may just be a petite chicken. She doesn't look as much smaller as I thought you were describing--maybe it is the picture. I'd just watch her, and she looks fine to me.

She is super spunky and holds her own! I thought she'd get picked on being so much smaller, but she does really well. She eats alot of feed (although I had to lower the feeder a little because I noticed her really craning to reach) but doesn't care for ranging. When the other chicks are out ranging, she just hangs out in the corner of the coop or stretches out under a light. Hmm...guess I'll just keep watch over her.

I too have a very tiny chick. Not sure what kind..it's brown with black...but all the other chicks have grown except this one but she is the only brown one...it's been a little over a week since we got them. We are very new to this so please tell me what "pasty butt " is? this chick sleeps alot and I run defense for her to get to the water and food. the other guys just run over her. We also have three ducklings with the chickens and they are starting to become a hazard for her also. We are planning to separate them tomorrow since the weather has warmed but will keep the little one inside for a while longer.

Pasty butt is when they get poop caked in the feathers on their behind and cant poop anymore. You have to clean it off for them or they will get sick and die. To clean a pasty butt, use a warm wet cloth to dampen and soften the poo and then gently peel it away or wipe it off until clean. Be very gentle, but be sure to get it all off or it will re-paste up and you'll have to do it again. When I had one chick that seemed to get this alot, I actually pulled some of the fluff around the vent to prevent it from happening again. I felt bad about hurting him a little, but he never had anymore pasty butt after that.

one of my smallest chicks was my Black Australorp, she is still small for her breed & much lighter than my other big birds. She is my top hen, she is the boss. Her attitude makes up for her size & she doesn't seem to notice she is smaller.
I also had a sick chick(crook neck) & I always feared she'd be at the bottom of the pecking order, I was wrong. She is big & healthy & pushy, near the top of the pecking order.

:(Well my little brown guy didn't make it. He died in the middle of the night. I am checking all the chickie butts, though and making sure they are not pasty. Thanks for all the info!

Back
Top Bottom