Worried about chick

Fleetwood77

Songster
6 Years
Dec 10, 2015
Boise, Idaho
My chicks are about a week old now. They arrived on Wednesday. One of them has had issues with pasty butt since they got here. I keep wiping it and it is getting much better. She is eating normal, drinking normal, and overall seems fine. I am starting to worry about her though, because she is still so small. The others seem to grow by the hour, and she seems barely bigger than when she arrived. She is also much less active. When she isn't eating or sleeping, she mostly stands under the heating lamp, snoozing, whereas the others are running around and plotting their escape, trying to use the wings that are growing in.

I am feeding medicated feed, have probiotics and electrolytes added to their water, and they get an egg yolk once a day. Is there anything else I could try?

I'm also having problems... I have 2 now who seem to have leg problems... I've lost 4 now due to unknown reasons... They all came from TSC and they have not lasted a week... They are constantly running a d knocking each other over. My brooder is more than large enough for them . I'm just not sure what else to do... Let nature take its course or somehow intervene. Suggestions?

what are the symptoms? Things to look for would be puffed up appearance, excessive sleepiness,lethergic behavior, stool with blood or runny foamy stool.These things can indicate coccidosis. if you suspect coccidosis you would want to treat ALL the chicks with Amprolium. The brand name very from state to state but in my state the Amprolium brand name is Corid. If caught and treated quickly they can recover fully. Do your birds display these symptoms?

No they are very active, running and playing, jumping sometime down right mean. They are constantly eating, no pastety butt, drink water. Maybe add some electrolyte to water and the medicine you suggest to be on safe side... I only give them their starter feed. No extra

you would Not want to give the medicine unless coccidosis was suspected because it can create a resistance to the medicine and if they did need it later it won't work as it should. only use if symptoms match.but if your concerned you can use medicated chick feed. it has very small amounts of Amprolium in it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well I've given them some electrolyte in their water.. My 1 who can only hobble is still eating and drinking water, I'm hoping that her leg will heal itself, I'll know in a few days I guess. Today was moving day to outside brooder as she is 4 weeks old but I'm keeping her with the baby chicks as they seem to ignore her, where as her hatch mates were bullying her... I know there is not much I can do about her leg. From what I have read it is difficult to splinter it an will probably not work...this is what I have read. Thoughts? I don't think she is suffering though.

Unfortunately mine didn't make it through the night. I thought her pasty butt was getting better because she didn't have much poop stuck to her anymore, but she must have been backed up. Her little abdomen was pretty swollen. We tried soaking her in warm water and massaging her belly, but she got worse quickly. I just hope she didn't have to suffer much.

Unfortunately mine didn't make it through the night. I thought her pasty butt was getting better because she didn't have much poop stuck to her anymore, but she must have been backed up. Her little abdomen was pretty swollen. We tried soaking her in warm water and massaging her belly, but she got worse quickly. I just hope she didn't have to suffer much. 
I'm so very very sorry to hear this. :(

Great news, my other baby that had a injured leg is on the mend. I had took some cue tips and cut to length and taped to leg a few days ago, today was the first day she stood up on both her feet. Hopefully this is a good sign. I have been pampering her out of this world, feeding and watering her every hour or so for the last few days and it appears to be paying off.... I am so proud of her.

Back
Top Bottom