Worried about duck.

Lilybljm

Songster
6 Years
Jul 11, 2017
I had nineteen ducks until yesterday morning, now I have four. Not something I ever wanted to say. A mink got into the coop early in the morning and killed 15 of them, injured two, caused one to hurt herself, and left a single duck unscathed. I’m devastated. Somehow though, it’s the unscathed one I’m most worried about. I’m not surprised she survived as she was always the toughest of the lot, but she’s almost 11 now and has been shaking a lot since the attack. The two injured ones and the one that I assume hit her wing on something flying or running from the mink are doing considerably better, and all are chatting away as usual, but my old girl hasn’t stopped shaking and doesn’t like to sleep unless I’m near her. Thankfully that’s easy right now as we’ve brought them inside until they’ve recovered and the coop is secure; and ideally, until that mink is dead. But I don’t know what to do to make her feel better or if there is anything I can do. None of them will make any noise at all unless I’m there either, because even though they’re indoors I think they’re scared of drawing more predators. It was an absolute bloodbath and she was the mama of most of the dead ones. Ducks probably don’t remember that stuff, but we’ll never know for sure. One of her babies survived, but she’s 7. My oldest male also survived, he’s hurt the worst of them all; and one more male, whom I never really got close to. I don’t even know where to go from here. I’ve had an attack before, but they still had each other and there were only two killed. I think they know that they’re all that’s left. I can’t even put into words how upset I am. I had two that weren’t even a year old that I raised myself indoors over the winter last year and neither made it. The runt I had to hatch myself because her beak and legs were too weak and small but made it anyway. She would get so excited when I cracked an egg for them. She was always the first one to it. Another one loved when I’d get a bowl of water with some food in it because she liked to fish for it. One was always way louder than the others. She would always start that constant squawking whenever she saw me or heard me outside. Or the one that liked to sit in my shovel whenever I took a break from scooping because that’s where all the best worms were, I guess. I’m sorry for ranting but I’ve got no one to tell and no one else ever really knew them like I did. I miss them already. But if anyone has any advice on how to help the ones that survived in any way, I would really appreciate it. I’m just at a loss. Thanks for listening if you made it this far. I’m crying just writing this.

Only one injury is visible. The younger female is just bruised on either her wing or chest, I can’t tell which; and the other male is almost healed. I’m probably gonna bring him in for antibiotics tomorrow, but the wound is clotted and healing. I cleaned that out a couple times yesterday and this morning, but it’s closed now. Only thing I’m worried about there is infection. I do have electrolytes and am keeping them nice and warm. They’re eating and drinking plenty thankfully. I’m just so worried about my old girl. She’s so shaken about it all and she didn’t even get a scratch on her. She might be worse than me right now. :(

Only one injury is visible. The younger female is just bruised on either her wing or chest, I can’t tell which; and the other male is almost healed. I’m probably gonna bring him in for antibiotics tomorrow, but the wound is clotted and healing. I cleaned that out a couple times yesterday and this morning, but it’s closed now. Only thing I’m worried about there is infection. I do have electrolytes and am keeping them nice and warm. They’re eating and drinking plenty thankfully. I’m just so worried about my old girl. She’s so shaken about it all and she didn’t even get a scratch on her. She might be worse than me right now. :(
I imagine it's pretty traumatic for her. And for you. I imagine all you can do us give her time.

I really am so sorry.
😔

No need to apologize for ranting! I once lost three of four chickens in a coop to a mink, and there is no predator I hate more than those sneaky, little weasel cousins. They seem to kill for sport, not because of hunger, just to enjoy the kill.

First off, your old girl -- and congrats on her long life -- must be seriously traumatized, as they all must be. I had to move my remaining survivor to a different coop and give her plenty of time to recover from the fear and shock of seeing everyone else slaughtered. She alone flew to the highest roost and was physically unhurt.

I think you are right about everyone staying quiet right now to avoid more predators.

As far as the mink goes, my research indicated that if it's a male, they tend to control a multi-mile territory. So, if that's the case, you only have to protect against one mink. The mink here returned the same night -- they usually do -- and I was waiting outdoors. But it escaped through a hole in the hay shed wall before I could stab it with a 3-tined cultivator.

I stepped up my security and now have endless dollars worth of hardware cloth on everything since a full-grown mink can shimmy through holes as small as 1 inch.

It sounds like you have marvelous memories of your sweet ducks. It is heart-rending to lose any pets, but especially those you raise from babies.

Best wishes that your remaining ducks recover and you get rid of the mink. I am so sorry for your losses.

I had nineteen ducks until yesterday morning, now I have four. Not something I ever wanted to say. A mink got into the coop early in the morning and killed 15 of them, injured two, caused one to hurt herself, and left a single duck unscathed. I’m devastated. Somehow though, it’s the unscathed one I’m most worried about. I’m not surprised she survived as she was always the toughest of the lot, but she’s almost 11 now and has been shaking a lot since the attack. The two injured ones and the one that I assume hit her wing on something flying or running from the mink are doing considerably better, and all are chatting away as usual, but my old girl hasn’t stopped shaking and doesn’t like to sleep unless I’m near her. Thankfully that’s easy right now as we’ve brought them inside until they’ve recovered and the coop is secure; and ideally, until that mink is dead. But I don’t know what to do to make her feel better or if there is anything I can do. None of them will make any noise at all unless I’m there either, because even though they’re indoors I think they’re scared of drawing more predators. It was an absolute bloodbath and she was the mama of most of the dead ones. Ducks probably don’t remember that stuff, but we’ll never know for sure. One of her babies survived, but she’s 7. My oldest male also survived, he’s hurt the worst of them all; and one more male, whom I never really got close to. I don’t even know where to go from here. I’ve had an attack before, but they still had each other and there were only two killed. I think they know that they’re all that’s left. I can’t even put into words how upset I am. I had two that weren’t even a year old that I raised myself indoors over the winter last year and neither made it. The runt I had to hatch myself because her beak and legs were too weak and small but made it anyway. She would get so excited when I cracked an egg for them. She was always the first one to it. Another one loved when I’d get a bowl of water with some food in it because she liked to fish for it. One was always way louder than the others. She would always start that constant squawking whenever she saw me or heard me outside. Or the one that liked to sit in my shovel whenever I took a break from scooping because that’s where all the best worms were, I guess. I’m sorry for ranting but I’ve got no one to tell and no one else ever really knew them like I did. I miss them already. But if anyone has any advice on how to help the ones that survived in any way, I would really appreciate it. I’m just at a loss. Thanks for listening if you made it this far. I’m crying just writing this.
I'm so sorry it's got to be awful they have some natural remedies to help with stress if you look online for birds all for I don't know that's got to be horrifically dramatic for that sweet baby. I wish you and her the best of luck. And again I'm very sorry when one of my silky babies died it's just heart crushing I can't imagine how you must be feeling all I can do is tell you about that I'm sorry if that happened to you and them and you have all of us to talk to you and you can talk all you want.

I was so very sorry to read about your huge loss of your precious Ducks. I can't even imagine losing that many at one time. I pray that you can catch the mink and are able to keep the rest safe and that they all survive. This site is a great site to share your grief as we are all animal lovers and truly understand how terrible this situation must be. You are in my prayers and I pray that the rest of your ducks recover from such a terrible event.

Back
Top Bottom