WORRIED about my ,Broody Silkie

silkeyldy

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
K3 Area
I am worried about my broody hen. she is a pet silkie, sitting on 4 eggs.
we moved her into a brooder box (cardboard box) in the kitchen ,(we thought it might be too cold for them in the garage ). She hasn,t gotten up for 3 days now!! I have put some food and a couple of her favorite treats(grapes) right in front of her and she gobbles em up,also a small bowl with water so she can drink . But she hasn`t gotten up to eat or drink on her own!!!! WILL SHE STARVE HERSELF ????
She hasn,t even pooped for three days !!
Should I keep putting her food and drink in front of her so she can eat ? Or should I NOT FEED her and see if she will get up on her own ? if so, how long do I give it ? How long can she go without eating and drinking ,and pooping??

Good questions. I can't help you there. One of my silkies is broody too--except she's sitting on NOTHING, wherever she can find it!

I hope someone helps you out!

yes she can starve herself to death. If she won't get up, get her up, even if she pecks you and protests, make her walk around and take a break, poop, eat. If she rushes back to her nest and won't eat, you can make a mash by moistening it and putting it where she can reach it, but she might start pooping in her nest. I'd rather some poop in a nest than a dead broody, so I feed my tight setters even though people say not to.

Thanks for the advice, I,ll try to move her to her food and water.
Her box is about 3ft by 2.5ft she's sitting in a corner opposite of her food and water.

I have some girls that are more determined broodies than others. I always hand feed them while they are sitting on the nest. You will know if the leave the nest to take a bathroom break, you will not be able to stand being in the room. If she does not get up then like the others said move her. I would take her outside for 10 minutes if it were me. I have a scratch feed called Rooster Booster, other lables are Game Cock conditioner or 12 way scratch. It has all kinds of good stuff and is 16% protein. I give my broodies a hand full of that each day if they don't get up, I just offer it by hand. They do will with high carbohydrates while they are sitting, especially now that it is colder.

Also you broody will most likely not get off the nest for the last three days as the babies start to pip the internal membrane they stay put. At that time do not remove her from her nest but you can feed her sparingly. During hot weather I also offer water while they are sitting.

Quote:
I give my broody silkie a handful of scratch a day mixed with some of her layer pellet. I've yet to see her get off the eggs... but I know she does... she just WILL NOT leave the coop. I moved the food and water inside for her. I just wait and watch... its been 11 days now and she's going strong. She is doing what she needs to do I'm sure of it though I haven't witnessed it!

Back
Top Bottom