worried about my hen

pinecone33

Chirping
Aug 1, 2022
Västra Götaland Sverige
For context it’s winter here and it has been extremely cold and dry to the point my chickens have refused to leave their coop unless it’s a 5 min leg stretch, so they’ve been inside most of the time. During this time one of my super loud, curious and dominant hens stopped laying eggs and her attitude has changed she’s so quiet now and doesn’t really run to me when I get their food (our dinner leftovers along with the chicken feed I buy from the local pet store) and I’m super worried because my other chickens seem fine but she isn’t. Should I be worried or is this just the winter season and lack of sun doing it’s thing? I live in Scandinavia so the sun sets pretty early here plus there has not been a sunny day for very long now. Just cloudy or rainy.

I brought her inside today to give her some yoghurt and cheese since those have been her fav since she was a baby chick I really hope this helps..

Attachments

• 1411586F-54AA-463D-82D7-52517DA0B9B7.jpeg
    1411586F-54AA-463D-82D7-52517DA0B9B7.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 35
Maybe shes just sad because shes a chicken that cant do chicken things at the moment? When its wet and miserable here (tropical australia) my chickens get moody because they cant do their usual things lol

For context it’s winter here and it has been extremely cold and dry to the point my chickens have refused to leave their coop unless it’s a 5 min leg stretch, so they’ve been inside most of the time. During this time one of my super loud, curious and dominant hens stopped laying eggs and her attitude has changed she’s so quiet now and doesn’t really run to me when I get their food (our dinner leftovers along with the chicken feed I buy from the local pet store) and I’m super worried because my other chickens seem fine but she isn’t. Should I be worried or is this just the winter season and lack of sun doing it’s thing? I live in Scandinavia so the sun sets pretty early here plus there has not been a sunny day for very long now. Just cloudy or rainy.

I brought her inside today to give her some yoghurt and cheese since those have been her fav since she was a baby chick I really hope this helps..
Sorry to hear about your hen!
I can't help very much, but one question; what is the feed that you get?

It says it has 15,5% crude protein (idk if that’s the same as regular protein or not but that’s the English word for the original “råprotein” mentioned )
As far as I know protein is protein. That seems a little low, although I know that a it has been said that the protein in some countries is better quality than in other places.
It would be alright if that was all you feed, but than if you add table scraps you lower in even more.
I like a 18% protein, and even 20% is fine. You could have a look around, and see if you can find a feed with a bit higher %.
That may help.
I'll tag @Wyorp Rock

From what I can tell, your feed should be fine.

Do you know how long it's been since she laid an egg?
Any signs that she is molting, do you see any new feathers coming in?

Sometimes when daylight hours are short, hens can stop producing eggs, so this may be what's going on with her, but you are concerned, so do check her out a little more.
See that her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for any bugs like lice or mites too.

Report back and let us know what you find out.

From what I can tell, your feed should be fine.

Do you know how long it's been since she laid an egg?
Any signs that she is molting, do you see any new feathers coming in?

Sometimes when daylight hours are short, hens can stop producing eggs, so this may be what's going on with her, but you are concerned, so do check her out a little more.
See that her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for any bugs like lice or mites too.

Report back and let us know what you find out.
it was about 2.5 weeks ago since she last laid an egg. I don’t know if she’s moulting but there are black feathers all over the coop where she sleeps I guess those would be hers because my other 3 hens are all white so it can’t be theirs. I checked for bugs and mites on both legs and her body there was nothing there she seems fine.

it was about 2.5 weeks ago since she last laid an egg. I don’t know if she’s moulting but there are black feathers all over the coop where she sleeps I guess those would be hers because my other 3 hens are all white so it can’t be theirs. I checked for bugs and mites on both legs and her body there was nothing there she seems fine.
Yep, I'd say she's molting.
How old is she, in months?

Back
Top Bottom