Worried About My Little Hen

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Im new to this chicken madness and this is my first broody.. I gave her a clutch of fertile eggs a week ago and moved her to her "nursery".. She has food, water, and is all comfy, but I swear she barely eats.. In the past 5 days she has yet to go through half a scoop of food, and water, I can't tell she is drinking it.. Today when I went and checked on her I noticed her head wasn't perked up like usual so I got down to her and reached in fearing she was dead and I got bit and a nasty "leave me the **** alone" growl..

Im just worried she is starving herself.. Calm me down and tell me she will be fine..lol
roll.png

Last edited:
Is there a chance she was sleeping while on her nest?
Trust me, I understand the first broody jitters!
gig.gif
I've had more than I can remember and I still hover around the coop chewing my nails for the whole three weeks. You would think it was me having chicks.
roll.png

You know she probally was..lol I SURE got the message though to back up and leave her the heck alone.. Shes just so tiny (to me, our only banty) so I have always worried about her.. She seems happier though in her own space now away from the other 6 brats (I mean hens).. they pick on her
sad.png

Hello
smile.png

I think you might want to take her off the nest once a day so she can eat, drink and poop. Some hens have this super broodiness and will literally starve themselves to death on the nest. I've got a hen like yours and she hardly ever leaves the nest unless forced. Dont worry you shouldn't upset the sitting.

Once a day pick her off nest and stay close to ensure that she eats and drinks a bit and especially poops, otherwise she'll do the stinky stuff in the nest and possibly comtaminate the eggs.

Good luck

You can also try giving her treats like cheese or oatmeal to convince her to eat. At least SOMETHING.

I took mine of the nest 2 times a day at first, then she started coming out on her own the last 4 days or so.. Now I have 2 of the eggs piping and 2 more close to it and she just stays on the nest.. I have her confined from the other hens and ducks.. and have food and water near her.. Oh and she is hatching my pekin eggs.. Good luck.

forgot to say that I take her treats every morning, she loves baby spinach...

Last edited:
My little hen is the same way I put her feed in front of her in her nest she does get off at least once a day to do her business but as far as i know she spends 24 hours a day on her nest give or take a few minutes

I can tell at some point she has gotten up as a little straw is pushed out of the front of the nestbox. Her food is right outside the nest box and water is just beyond that.. I did try bribing her with scrammbled eggs, but that was a big negative..lol I think I will take her off today and see what she does..

When I moved her to her nursery pen and took her off her nest she just squatted and sat down in the grass, like she couldn't walk.. But I didn't know what to do so I just placed her back on her nest..lol I swear this little hen has me wrapped!!!!
wink.png

I never moved my broody. They generally get off the nest at least once a day to eat, drink and poop, even if you don't see it. Once the hatch started, tho, she stayed right put. My philosophy was, the less I meddled, the better. It was hard at times because I wanted to see under her, but I figured it was better for her (and the eggs) if I left well enough alone.

Hiya

Dont worry if you take her off the nest, she'll squat for a little bit and then hopefully go and eat and return to the nest on her own.

21 days is a long time and if she is not eating or drinking when she is brooding then there is a risk of her losing a lot of weight and condition. I also put treats in the food like corn or cooked rice in there to tempt her to eat more.

Back
Top Bottom