Worried about possible drowning

hopsandbabs

Chirping
May 3, 2016
Hello,

I have three drakes (Hops, Bean and Luck) and I am very worried that Bean is going to drown Luck. I know that they mount as a dominance thing (or perhaps just very...sexually charged) but during mounting he has started to push Luck's head under the water.

I'm really worried that Bean is going to drown Luck and I just don't know what to do. Should I separate them? Do I need to start looking for a new home for Bean? :( I'll do what it takes just as long as they are safe.

I know this is silly...but you are positive they are all drakes? Mine usually does the same head pushing with the hens, but ducks are made to handle this, I would keep an eye out for any signs of fights outside the water.

I know this is silly...but you are positive they are all drakes? Mine usually does the same head pushing with the hens, but ducks are made to handle this, I would keep an eye out for any signs of fights outside the water.
Yeah they are all drakes, they have curly tail feathers and deeper "smoker" quacks. Plus no eggs. And I do see Bean chasing Luck around outside the water, and Luck goes to the water to escape and dive down.

Do you have any hens, or do you just have the three drakes? Have you observed distress by the duck with its head underwater. Holding the head underwater is normal, but it can go too far as well.
I just have the three drakes. He is trying to get his head back up for sure, and he is trying to get away when mounted.

Yeah they are all drakes, they have curly tail feathers and deeper "smoker" quacks. Plus no eggs. And I do see Bean chasing Luck around outside the water, and Luck goes to the water to escape and dive down.
I myself have only had my drakes fight with my rooster, never each other, but my best suggestion would be separate them. But keep in mind that for most birds, when you do this, it can be harder for them to allow them back into the flock. Good luck!

@hopsandbabs hello from a fellow three drake flock! We have a lot of fighting going on now too, I’ve been separating out the one who has done the injuring, but today the one who’s been injured was really attacking so he’s the one separated now. Just wondering how you’re getting on!

@hopsandbabs hello from a fellow three drake flock! We have a lot of fighting going on now too, I’ve been separating out the one who has done the injuring, but today the one who’s been injured was really attacking so he’s the one separated now. Just wondering how you’re getting on!
Separating Bean actually seemed to work, I see him attacking not AS aggressively now. I know during spring they can be extra aggressive because of hormones....but I will keep a watch on them.

Back
Top Bottom