Worried my boy needs your help

Leghi

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2022
My boy Donald needs help. He is a 4 yr old Pekin. I believe he has bumblefoot and I am treating it with Epsom salt soaks and using iodine on the wounds with compression wraps. Both legs are swollen. I believe he may have a niacin deficiency after reading many posts I believe due to season and less free ranging. I do have B12 tabs on hands 1000 mcg per tab but I don't understand how much to give him he is about 10 lbs. He shows signs of weakness and stress. I have him inside away from the others for now. I am bringing in Angel because she has been having a difficult time walking with her on leg. She is only 3 months old. I thought the wrap on her leg for a week fixed the issue because she was doing amazing but she is back to limping again so Epson salt baths and wraps for her. Am I doing enough for Donald and is there anything else I can do for him? Do you think I can put these two together or should they be separate but able to see each other? I am thankful for the other ducks if it weren't for them I would not have found him he got stuck in the mud and his buddy Mr. Dufus stayed with him until we came for them while the rest sounded the alarm. I feel horrible because I work from home but couldn't get there for over an hour due to my work. It was the only place in their pen that the camera doesn't show. Looks like I'm getting another camera. Any help would be appreciated thank you

@Miss Lydia

This is the problem with Pekin, they were bred to be fast growers and then dispatched early, like the Cornish X chickens. Pekins will always have a higher need for niacin than other breeds and due to their higher weight, they will be more prone to bumblefoot.

I would get the vitamin B Complex from Tractor Supply, the liquid injectable one for bovines, but you give it orally. It's not available in Canada, so I ended up having to use crushed caplets mixed in the duck's food. That should take care of the Niacin. Please3 be aware that this will be a lifetime supplement.

As for the bumble, seems you have read many of the excellent posts on here. Yes, Epsom salt soaks, making sure the duck can't drink the water, removal of scab/s, and packing with antibiotic ointment.

Sorry this has taken so long. Found the cause this morning. Trying to be in 3 places at once with 7 ducks. This is Donald pics Angel will come shortly. It actually looks better than it was 2 days ago. Do the Campbell's get the 1 ml as well? I will be giving each duck their own for a week then I will give it in their water regularly. I want to catch them up so to speak. I don't know what is going on with his nose but he has a deep water bucket about 8 in. hoping it will help should I put ACV and how much to a gallon.

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_093048996.jpg
    IMG_20221124_093048996.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20221124_093212098.jpg
    IMG_20221124_093212098.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20221124_093201209.jpg
    IMG_20221124_093201209.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20221124_093123997.jpg
    IMG_20221124_093123997.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20221124_093048996.jpg
    IMG_20221124_093048996.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 3
yes the 2 having problems need 1 ml each daily. put it over a treat so you know they are getting the whole dose.
Yes KC gets same as Donald.
Looks like Donald may have broken his toe 2nd pic on top row.

ACV in their drinking water is 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon.

Putting anything in the drinking water is almost counter-productive with ducks (except the ACV since it affects the chemistry, it's not just for the ingestion) as they splash the water all over, you might have noticed. ;) Most of the water ends up OUT of the container, all over the ducks and the ground, with only a fraction inside them.

When doing actual medication, it's always best to just have ducks eat it directly over treats, as Miss Lydia suggested.

Thank you I saw the toe when I took the picks when I wrapped the foot I tried to keep the toe straight. It didn't seem to bother him when touching it and no heat so I hope I can fix it with the wrapping. He has been rough to work with but I found he likes to hide his face once he can't see you he is calm. I don't have pics of Angel yet set I took came out black must have had finger in the way I am not very good with technology. Thanks for the help update tomorrow including pics of Angel.

Putting anything in the drinking water is almost counter-productive with ducks (except the ACV since it affects the chemistry, it's not just for the ingestion) as they splash the water all over, you might have noticed. ;) Most of the water ends up OUT of the container, all over the ducks and the ground, with only a fraction inside them.

When doing actual medication, it's always best to just have ducks eat it directly over treats, as Miss Lydia suggested.
I use two styles of watering a dunk bucket where the can put heads in to clean but less splashing and PVC pipe system so the can drink but not splash. The two set ups have made a lot less mess. As far as the meds I understand your point and will do so. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom