Worried, worried, oh did I mention I am WORRIED about my mom!!!

They're not likely to give rabies treatment unless they know it is needed. This would probably be considered a "low risk" contact and they might not.

Talk to a good vet in the morning, please. If she is really at risk from rabies or raccoon worms, she won't have a lot of choice about what to do with the coon. She can refuse treatment, of course, but not how to deal with the coon.

I'm more worried about the worms than I am rabies, in this scenario.

Those worms are definitely something I am going to look into and talk to her about tomorrow. I had never even heard of them.
sad.png

However, the raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) is a serious public health concern. This parasite is transmitted through the ingestion or inhalation of eggs passed in raccoon feces. Children should be prevented from playing in areas where raccoons have defecated.
Raccoons are also hosts for the zoonotic (transmittable to humans) disease leptospirosis, but the incidence is so low as to be of concern only to people who routinely come into contact with these animals, such as wildlife rehabilitators or animal control officers.
http://www.organization.org/wildlife/a_closer_look_at_wildlife/raccoons.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom