worried

rhythmicgoldfish

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Barrington
so... me started or eggs today for the very first time, the temp was holding steady at 100 and the humidity was just a little high when i went to bed but when my partner left for work he said the temp was a little high 101, he must have turned it down because 10-15 minuets later i got up and looked and it was 99... then 98 i decided to turn it up a little when i noticed that two eggs had fallen off the turner rails i washed my hands opened the lid and put new cups in put the eggs back and closed the bator now it is 4am and i am babysitting the bator because i'm not sure i turned it up enough... bator is a little giant

you should get lots of replies later, and I am not experienced, but i do not think these fluctuations are enough to mess up the hatch, from what i have read here.

little giants tend to have problems with temp swings. 98-102 is ideal but too many swings can be bad. did you run the incubator for a few days to stablilize the temp before putting the eggs in?

My first ever hatching attempt is starting to pip now, so I'm definitely no expert. However, from everything I've read, I don't think these small fluctuation this early on will be a problem.

Just be sure to wait at least 30 min or more after each adjustment which should be made very slightly until you level off. Any time I've adjusted the temp or added water, I set a timer for 30 min. and check it again. If it hasn't moved at all, I adjust a tad-bit more and reset the timer. Once I've reached the temp or humidity I'm wanting, I still set the timer for another 30 min--just to be sure it's going to stay there. I usually check one last time in an hour. I've found that it takes a little while for those adjustments to take full effect.

Good luck!

Quote:
ditto. even with my incubater i have minor temp swings right after i put the eggs in. my theory is that the eggs are still much cooler than the incubator and reduce the temp much quicker while they are still warming up. temp swings this early don't effect the hatch much, but later on it can be devastating. you seem yo be doing a good job getting the temp stabilized so far! no need for TOO much worry at this point!

Back
Top Bottom