worries for ill chook

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chews chooks, Dec 7, 2013.

1. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    ok so one of my chickens i think has fallen ill she has lots off missing feathers mainly on her bak of her nek and bottom/ tail feathers a couple of wing feathers the rest remain loose if i touch if she flaps her wings feathers just drop out she has fa cold stiff and colourless comb none of my other hens have any of these symptoms and i havnt noticed any bullying please help me im so worried [​IMG] help

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I'm not too good at diagnosing illnesses. Have you noticed any lethargy, abnormal behavior etc.?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she be starting a moult?

4. chews chooks

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    would she be starting a moult earlier than anyone else minor lethargy she didnt run over to the fence when i opened the back door she walked...[​IMG] help

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds to me like she is molting, which is common at this time of year. When birds molt, they lose feathers all over their body (but usually first on their back, neck, and tail area), stop laying, develop pale, shriveled combs, and may act somewhat abnormal (more lethargic, skittish, etc.). Chickens don't always molt at the same time as eachother, so even if your other birds aren't molting, she still may be. To help her with her molt, try giving her (and the rest of the flock) high protein treats, like scrambled/hardboiled eggs, mealworms, cat food, or other insects.

However, there could be something wrong with her. I'd look on her skin/feathers for moving black specks (mites), yellowish moving blobs (lice), or white eggs (lice eggs), as external parasites can cause feather loss and lethargy. If she has mites/lice, treat by dusting her with Sevin dust, spraying her with a lice/mite spray, or dusting her with poultry dust. Dust again 7-10 days after the first dusting, and make sure to dust/spray the coop, too. Also, has she ever been wormed? And how old is she? While not related to her feather loss, a heavy burden of worms could cause her lethargy and paleness. Other things to check are her crop (is it unusually large/hard?), her body (is her abdomen hard and/or swollen?), eyes, face, and nostrils (is anything swollen or is discharge present?).

6. chews chooks

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    im not sure how old she is i got her from one off those proffesional chicken farms not sure if they would have womed her no lice mites ect i spray and dust coops every week have done for over year and they get lice mite reppelent food supliment every morning no notisable swelling of any body part will feed mealworms cat food ect when possible hopefully is just a moult any way of finding out if she has been wormed thx 4 ur help [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When in doubt just go ahead and worm with a quality wormer that gets all of chickens worms, not just roundworm. If you are in the UK, Flubenvet is very good, and here in the US Safeguard paste or liquid and Valbazen are very good. Worm once and repeat in 10-14 days for the worm eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by