Worrying about my girls in the cooler weather

Quote:
I don't see chicken wire? I see hardware cloth on the bottom and maybe a larger opening hardware cloth or fencing around the top?

Unless there is a hardware cloth apron or buried border around the run , I'd still be worried about predators digging under the run, getting in and gaining access to the coop through the open door. Even where I live, where the most likely predators are only cats or rats, I'm still worried and try to keep my coop like Fort Knox at night, when the girls are defenceless. Judging by the OPs's comments, she'd probably feel the same.

I have to lazy cats how would dig if there life depended on it....lol But, let something else come in and there on it. ( I live in the country and havent even seen a coyote in a couple years) I have a pit bull on an invisale fence, she plays in the run with them. Once there is snow cover and food supply low I will close the coop up at night. Best defense is an awsome offense! (Have not even seen a mouse for a very long time)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone... yes, those pics are from summer. The run has a corrugated metal roof now. I've also used hardware cloth 3 feet up all the way around and dug an apron 1 foot down and around the whole thing. I have a mini daschund who acts like a cat and has already killed 2 rats and 2 mice in the past year.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom