Last on my list is Iowa Blues. The rooster is lovely, but neither he nor any of the four hens I've had show the slightest inclination toward friendliness or returning to the coop after free-ranging all day. I finally gave up and keep Sir Henry the Loud and his girls in a coop with a run because I got tired of chasing them every single day.

The hens aren't particularly productive and the eggs are medium sized. They're not horrible birds, but there are so many more that I like more.

This opinion probably won't be popular...but I have to say Marans...I don't mind the hens so much...but the cockerels...OMG...they are the most hateful things! I've had four, three Black Copper Marans and one Blue Copper Marans. I wasn't trying to make them friendly, I just wanted them to do their job and leave us alone...every single one of them would try to flog us the second we stepped into the coop or run to change the water or add feed...and we weren't even messing with their girls...the blue one would see us coming and start jumping/bumping against the fence :idunno :mad: :(:rant

I say RSL are the worse. Super human friendly but bad with other chickens. Once all were removed from the folk it was peace on earth. My Cream Legbar is great, good mother, great producer, great free range. Jersey Giant hen is great also. My new favorite is the French Black Copper Marans.
:idunno My RSLs are great with each other and my other hen.

I didn't enjoy red sexlinks. I found them to be overly aggressive, heavy food consumers, and prone to dying frequently at young ages. As far as layers go, I far prefer White Leghorns. They still don't live as long as my others, but they seem to eat less, and are far better in a free-range situation; they survive among the predators longer, and forage more of their food.
My (limited) experienced with Silver Laced Wyandottes was also negative.

I didn't enjoy red sexlinks. I found them to be overly aggressive, heavy food consumers, and prone to dying frequently at young ages. As far as layers go, I far prefer White Leghorns. They still don't live as long as my others, but they seem to eat less, and are far better in a free-range situation; they survive among the predators longer, and forage more of their food.
My (limited) experienced with Silver Laced Wyandottes was also negative.
Mine aren't aggressive at all but heavy food consumers is probably accurate. I think that usually the crosses that are bred for laying have really short lifespans :( I love my white leghorn as well!

Mine aren't aggressive at all but heavy food consumers is probably accurate. I think that usually the crosses that are bred for laying have really short lifespans :( I love my white leghorn as well!
Yep, both the red and black sexlinks have higher deathrates than my other birds, though the leghorns are fairly close, I think.

Yep, both the red and black sexlinks have higher deathrates than my other birds, though the leghorns are fairly close, I think.
Darn. I've managed to (accidentally) get all chickens that seem to have short lifespans. (This wasn't on purpose-I asked for barred rocks!) We are going to get 3 or maybe four chicks in the spring.

How has now one mentioned Cornish x?! Lay in their own filth, try to consume each other, try to consume me, die suddenly, eat more food than anything I've ever seen, life expectancy of 8 weeks. Give me any healthy chicken breed, with a decent lifespan, reasonable laying, and weight at butcher!

Back
Top Bottom