WORST DAY EVER... Our dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bkreugar, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Who is on a run line in our 7 acre farm, just scratched the neighbors 5yr old kid.

He came to play with our 8 yr old ds. The 2 yr old spayed female (german shepard )was on the overhead run line. DS went to get something from the basement area outside, the 5 yr old walked into the dogs line. She jumped up and either bit or scratched him. Looks like a scratch, but its deep over eye and bleeding bad. DH walked him back next door they are now at hospital getting looked at and stitches i'm SURE!

I just called the vet clinic to get confirmation on her rabies, vet said no she was due in may of 2010, I had thought she was good for 3 years. DH is freaking out regarding our responsibilities. I am sooo worried and sure boy will have a scar. Told dh that's what we have home owners for, he said they could still sue us. Kid was of course crying and scared to death. Our son said dog growled and then jumped on top of kid, and he isn't sure if bit or scratched.

So now I have to go to get dd from school and its her dog. WORST day ever, and I think dog's last day, please send us your thoughts.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am sorry to hear this. My fingers are crossed that the 5 yr old is alright and you guys don't get sued. [​IMG]

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

We had family over one time and I have an Akita. She is tolerant of new people but does not trust them. We had warned the kids to stay away from her unless someone was around. Well my youngest cousin picked up her bone and put it in her arms while she was sleeping. This instantly woke her up and he bit and scratched his face. His whole cheek and above his eye were nothing but blood. He had to have butterfly stiches and we have yet to see them in 2 years since this happened. It also left him scared physically and mentally. We still have this dog so i hope that you have very trusting and understanding neighbors and they do not press charges and you can keep your dog.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    be thankful its a scratch and not a bite!
    my daugter was bit right in the face by a nasty nonsense
    to this day i hate those dogs.

5. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    That's awful. You have to do what you think is best, but in most cases, the dog can be home quarantined for 10 days. You might also ask your vet if when he says the dog was "due" in 2010, whether that means, "I wanted you in here to pay me in 2010 for un-necessary vaccination" or if he did NOT use a three year vaccine and the dog is truly out of date. Another option can be to run a rabies titer, checking the status of the dogs' immunity. I hate to see the dog pay with its' life because someone took their eyes off a kid that shouldn't have had access to the dog in the first place. Is it possible the dog just knocked the kid down and the line itself caused the scratch?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Sorry this happened.

For the rabies shot, did the dog have one as a pup, and a booster at 1 year. The booster done at 1 year of age should be good for 3 years, unless your state required the dogs be vaccinated every year.

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I would have blood pulled and sent to Kansas State University in Manhatten, Kansas IMMEDIATELY for a Rabies titer.

I would also FENCE my dog so this never has the chance to happen again.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for all concerned.

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Keep in mind, not all dogs are bad dogs just because they are a nonsense. It is the individual dog and it's nature. Just like my dog, Zoey. She is a border collie and I have to watch her around guests. She has nipped a couple of people because she is scared (not aggressive). I am not saying that all border collies bite just because Zoey does and she happens to be a border collie. It is all in the individual dog. [​IMG]

I am sorry to hear about your daughter, that must have been scary.

9. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Quote:Back from picking up DD who is now VERY upset, worrying that we will have to have dog put down

IT IS entirely likely that she just knocked him down and scratched him. I can NOT say. DS is 8 and changes his story from she scratched him to she bit him. Dog has not had issues with us of course but HAS been aggresive to other dogs (she is the only and definitly last Dog). Sometimes Ds says she growled. DS son says he told 5 yr old go back to porch but 5yr old said its okay. They have dogs themselves.

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    If there is a way to have the dog tested, I would go ahead and proceed with it. This way if they are upset enough to sue you, you show you care about the childs health. Plus I would want to hear the childs version when he is calm, see if he thought the dog was attacking or just rough housing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by