WORST DAY EVER... Our dog

I started running with our GS last year. He LOVES it. I had the same problem with him weaving back and forth and I handled it like you said, tug on the leash no and constant reinforcement to "stay with me" which is our version of "heel" He also loves tracking work. We just play hide and seek with him. Your 8 year old can really get into the game with that one.... have him walk a weaving path through the yard around stuff.. etc. and then hide behind something. Then take your dog out and tell him to find him. My GS can track anyone in the family for miles through the woods. It is a lot of fun for him.

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

It is very rewarding to train your dog. The dog will love it and chances are so will you. It will help your relationship with your dog. When training your dog to walk beside you, it is a good idea to use a wall. Have the wall on the other side of your dog. Your dog will learn to stay beside you. Your dog should always be on your left side when walking. Maybe put a muzzle on your dog when you two go running. That way if another dog happens to get out in front of you two, you don't have to worry about her biting them. I suggest looking up videos on youtube and checking out the show "Its me or the dog" on TV.
I have been working on training my border collie. It can be very fun! Start with the basic tricks, sit, stay, paw, down ect. You will be surprised how fun it is. Also, look at Kikopups channel on youtube. She has some very good training videos there.
Good Luck.
smile.png

I'm sorry but if any dog would approach me while I am running with my dog I would be very upset to not have it able to defend itself as the other dog has obviously left its property. To the OP is there a reason why you are so anti dog? Obviously you didn't want the dog in the first place. Training has worked wonders with my dog and having you daughter get more involved with the dog would be the key. Is there any reason she doesn't want to take care of the dog? Has everything been made as easy as possible? ie no mud where the food/water bowl has to go. If you allow her to get the training that her and the dog both need to make taking the dog for walks/runs not a chore but enjoyable you it will really help unwanted behaviours.​

They can't order the dog to be euthanized because of an expired rabies, they can order the dog to be quarantined though. Some counties will request the dog be evaluated by a behaviorist to determine whether or not the dog is "dangerous." Sh!tty way to learn a lesson, NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN UNSUPERVISED AROUND ANIMALS.

Quote:
I carry an ASP when I go running with my dogs. 9 times out of 10, I don't need it, but when a loose dog approaches, I put my dog on a sit/stay and get between the 2. Usually a confident "go home!" is enough for the dog to go back to its yard. Otherwise, yes, a good swift kick/smack does the trick. Of course, this only works if your dog trusts that you are going to protect her, something this dog is likely lacking. Loose dogs and dogs barking in yards are great uses for "leave it" as well. However, this isn't the place to TEACH that command. You have to start in a less stressful environment until the dog understands the command and then work from there.

I will equate leaving this dog tied out in the yard with something everyone here will instantly see as cruel and unhealthy.
On my dog forum, there is a poster trying to get animal control to take away a neighbor's chicken. The bird was bought as an Easter present for a child. Now, the bird likes in a parakeet cage under a tree in the front yard. The bird is never out of the cage, barely has room to turn its body around. It's fed and watered and is mostly out of the rain, therefore animal control says "basic needs are met, not cruelty"
The same is true of a dog kept on a tie-out away from its family. We're not talking a farm dog that lives outside, but spends every waking moment around the family (livestock, in the case of LGD). We're talking about a dog that is isolated and left alone. Do you know why puppies cry and struggle so much when they are first tied out?? Because, in the canine world, a dog outcast from the pack has basically received a death sentence.

Seriously, I can't urge the OP enough. Get this dog some training (even if you have to muddle through on your own with the help of books/videos) and make this dog a part of your life!! Otherwise, it's not a matter of IF but WHEN this happens again. You have a large breed dog that is completely out of control.
If all the family can't/won't get on board, then this dog needs to go to a new RESPONSIBLE home. That means no "free to good home" in the paper ad, but actually interviewing/signing contracts and making sure that the new owners are fully aware that this dog now has a bite history.
Contact a local GSD rescue. With the circumstances they MIGHT be able to help, but again maybe not - depends on the outcome of the Animal Control investigation.

The moral of the story: no pets without research and making sure that everyone in the family is on board and on the same page.

If your DD wants to do OB with this dog, you should strongly encourage your DH to go along with it (esp now after what's happened). OB will be a very good experience for your daughter as well as makeing a well mannered pet, that you may actually like having around. It will help teach your daughter dicipline, give her something to look forward too and it has it's own built in reward system for both of them...Plus it teaches other things like patience, understanding and responsibility.... and you may find you have less trouble with your DD.

All the issues you have with this dog are your fault, not your DD or DS or the neighbors kids.... and not the dogs.

Quote:
Why in the world would DH be opposed to her doing obed classes?
If cost is an issue, see if the local 4H club has a dog program. Thats where I started.

Quote:
Why in the world would DH be opposed to her doing obed classes?
If cost is an issue, see if the local 4H club has a dog program. Thats where I started.

Also check with your local humane society; they often have discounted classes.
My local kennel club also offers classes. Membership dues are $10/year. Classes are $20 a mobth (weekly classes)

Find a trainer, though, who is used to handling a variety of dogs. Even better is one who has titled (at least a cgc) dogs of their own.

GSD's have a lot of energy and are happiest when they have a job. They are so smart. Being confined on a line is very tough for them. It does not sound like a pet you want. You might consider trying to find a home for him.

Back
Top Bottom