Worst Predators..?

RoboChickenButt

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 7, 2012
Hello All,

I'm new to BYC, and I live in Jackson, NJ. My biggest concern is if I am doing enough in order to keep the predators out.

1) I have a stockade fence around my property.

2) I am constructing a coop which has a 2x2" black chain link fence that is lining the bottom of the entire run and under the coop (used black chain link fence that you typically see enclosing ones yard).

3) I am also containing my birds in the run with a 1x2 inch welded wire.

4) I am planning to weave a 16 gauge galvanized wire intertwined into the welded wire fence and the black chain link fence on the floor, to prevent anything from digging under and trying to come up into the run. Also, I have a 6" wooden border around the bottom of the run that holds the chain link fence down extremely tight against the ground. When its finally finished my enclosure will have the bottom floor tied into the border of the run, which will be tied into the welded wire making up the walls of the run.

Have I left anything out? I've read so many stories on this site, and I do not want to make the same mistakes. I have become obsessed with keeping my birds safe.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for commenting.

Depending on the predators in your area, everything sounds good so far. Raccoons can climb wire and enter from the top. Weasels can fit through very small spaces. Possums climb as well. I have a live trap set at all times just in case.

What about hawks? I put poutry netting over the top to deter hawks, eagles, owls, and ravens. Thank God we don't have racoons here! I'm sure they'd chew right through the poultry netting.

What about hawks? I put poutry netting over the top to deter hawks, eagles, owls, and ravens. Thank God we don't have racoons here! I'm sure they'd chew right through the poultry netting.
Yeah but you have Grizzlies lol
gig.gif

It would be, if it happened. But usually the griz stay a little further out of town than where we are. It happened four days ago to a coop about 15 miles away, though. The homeowner/coop owner took out his bear gun and shot and killed the bear. The local officials did not cite him, because "It was deemed a legitimate defense of life and property shooting". No poultry were lost or injured in the incident.

I gotta say, I love living here. The wilderness is so near by, the air is so clean, and the local authorities understand the pioneer lifestyle!

Back
Top Bottom