Worst thing your birds ate

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3 NH reds, Dec 8, 2012.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Just think we could get some funny stories here. My egg layers were bad girls yesterday. I have a 50 gallon watering system that goes to three coops. The one in the layer run had a nipple that was pouring out water. The pvc pipe had chipped when putting it together but was holding water fine. After the layers hit it enough it leaked. I put some silicone around the nipple and let it dry overnight. The next morning they came out and started to eat the silicone and before I could stop them one had taken it off and was running around with a chunk of silicone in its beak like it was the best food ever. I grabbed the silicone and had to patch the pipe with a pvc union. WHY EAT SILICONE[​IMG]. Nobody got sick so its all good.

2. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    HAHAHA!! They are so funny.

We had been smelling something nasty rotten for a few days near our coop. We had no idea what it was except something dead. Theres no way to get under there so we just said whatever.

Well we had let our layers free range one day. One of our hens had wandered under the coop which was normal. Well she came out shaking something and pecking at it. It was a big dead SMELLY ROTTEN frog!! [​IMG]The smell instantly got worse because now it was out in the open! Her head was all dirty from when she would shake it and it would hit her in the head.
    She loved it. It was apparently very tasty.

She smelled for days after that because that nastiness was still on her head. Luckily she had had a few chicks with her so we weren't eating any of her eggs. [​IMG] I can't believe they eat things like that. I understand they love meat, but c'mon! It smelled so bad!

3. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    A rotting frog sounds great[​IMG] I do wonder what they are thinking.

4. CountryGeorge

CountryGeorge Chillin' With My Peeps

Styrofoam!!! What is it with chickens and styrofoam? They manage to find it everywhere in the yard and peck it to pieces and eat it up. I watched the rooster picking pieces off a large piece of styrofoam insulation and politely dropping them to the ground for the girls to eat.

5. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Oh man, the styrofoam! My boys were "helping" me put some trash for the weekly dump run in the back of the pickup. There was a huge bit of styrofoam in there, and they shredded it when I wasn't looking. I made them pick it up, but I know the roosters and ducks will probably clean up the rest. Ugh. So far, nobody has gotten sick from eating styrofoam, but it does not make me happy. I see too many critters at work with foreign bodies....I don't want one to be mine!

6. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    OH yea that was my egg birds. I put up a sheet of foil faced insulation board in the coop and they sat there on the roost having a feast.

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Snakes (good girls), moles, and frogs! yum yum.. [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Feasting on slugs! Yum... ...for them anyway!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Weatherstripping.

[​IMG]

Look closely at this fancy tradle feeder I bought for my girls. There's a piece of weatherstripping above the opening where the food is. It's to keep the lid from slamming down and to keep the water out. Well, somehow it appeared tasty. I didn't notice she was eating it when I first put it out but the next morning, it was pecked clean off. She's still fine today. This was 9 months ago. I'm guessing it just passed through her.

Her name is Coco but we call her a goat because she'll honestly eat anything she can get between her beak!

10. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Mine try to eat rotten hay. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by