would a feed store sell EE's as amerucauna?

Araucana:
achicks1.jpg

Ameraucana:
Ameraucana%20chicks2.jpg

EE:
1---2

Chick 1 above and below

Chick 2 above

Do you think they are ameracanas. They have green legs plus, but i got them from a feed store

Chick 1 above and below

Chick 2 above

Do you think they are ameracanas. They have green legs plus, but i got them from a feed store

They look like EEs. Ameracaunas come in 8 recognized colors: Buff, Black, White, Blue Wheaten, Wheaten, Brown Red, Blue, and Silver. They also have slate legs, versus the sometimes green legs of EEs.
Almost all hatchery and feed store Ameracaunas/Americanas/Americaunas/etc. are EEs.
You can read more about the difference between EEs and Ameracaunas here!
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

They sure are cute! I have a lavender ameraucana, which still in the project stages- it's not a recognized color variation.

I have a couple EE too. Honestly, if I could only keep one kind of chicken, it'd be EE.

I had the same thing happen, which was just me not knowing. My "Ameraucana's" are most definitely EE's :) But I'm not worried, they're sweet little chickies that'll add variety to my eggs. That's all I really wanted anyway!

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAraucanas.html

Ive heard some people say hatcheries sell thier Easter Eggers as Ameraucana/Araucana because Easter Eggers are a breed.
hu.gif

Most of the time, if people have real ameraucanas or araucanas, they can tell you what color they are, egg color etc. They also usually have their colors separated, not all mixed together. If im buying eggs or chicks, I usually ask to see pictures of the parents, and ask a few questions. I have EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas, and I want to make sure I'm paying for the right breed, purebred Araucanas, esp ones that are rumpless and tufted, arent cheap.

Like others have mentioned, most hatcheries sell only EE's but will label them Araucanas/Ameraucanas/Americanas. If you see the spelling Americanas, it equals Easter Eggers. I read somewhere that some places will purposely spell Americana with an "i" as a gimmick and then claim that they were not dishonest because they did not spell it "Ameraucana". . The US breed standard for Araucanas is rumpless and yours look like they have rumps. You have beautiful EE's though!

I was under the impression that Easter Eggers are a group of birds who lay pastel colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom