Would a rooster remember a certain person who was aggressive?

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I have a zero tolerance policy with roosters. Even if they were pestered. In my experience it generalizes widely (eg a baby took a few fast squeaky steps towards him, he took it as chasing = he hates children). I don’t allow any roosters near any children of face jumping height.
Lock him up when anyone is around or rehome him or send him to freezer camp.

When a rooster hurts a child it is our fault. Not the chicken. Not the child.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I have a zero tolerance policy with roosters. Even if they were pestered. In my experience it generalizes widely (eg a baby took a few fast squeaky steps towards him, he took it as chasing = he hates children). I don’t allow any roosters near any children of face jumping height.
Lock him up when anyone is around or rehome him or send him to freezer camp.

When a rooster hurts a child it is our fault. Not the chicken. Not the child.
I don't think this rooster deserves to go to freezer camp. A GROWN man was harrassing and threatening to hurt him. A roosters job is to protect his ladies, a big stranger was in his space and treatening his ladies, I thikn he was doing his job. OP said he is not usually human aggressive.

I don't think this rooster deserves to go to freezer camp. A GROWN man was harrassing and threatening to hurt him. A roosters job is to protect his ladies, a big stranger was in his space and treatening his ladies, I thikn he was doing his job. OP said he is not usually human aggressive.
I was typing my post as she posted those details. I agree.

Yes! I 100% AGREE.

Exactly.

To protect your animals and yourself, you may want to politely but firmly ban him from the coop next time. Explain clearly what the problem was and why it's a problem. Tell him if he wishes to enter the coop again he must agree to and follow your rules, for the safety of everyone.

If he usually likes animals, you could try telling him that roosters that are threatened can sometimes become viscious to other people too (including you) and if he provokes the rooster you will have to kill the rooster. If he doesn't like animals don't bother and skip to next paragraph.

If he has heard that intimidation is how you control roosters (which some people try), explain your own philosophy and ask that he respect that. Sometimes people (especially not farm people) are really misinformed about animals and they do dumb stuff they heard about. He doesn't get a third chance though - if you explain and he still tries pulling that again that's it. No more coop, period.

If he doesn't listen, he is being disrespectful and rude and he probably doesn't deserve to visit you at your farm. It's not okay for him to treat you and your animals like that!

Farms and farm animals have risks and it's important to insist on good behavior from your guests. Even if it's somebody you are close to, or that is difficult to stand up to (I don't know who this person is to you). Be polite but insistent. It's not rude to require him to follow your rules. You have the responsibility, and even the obligation, to protect your guests, yourself, and your animals.

If there's a reason he has to come back to the coop (say he helps you butcher, or you are a minor and your parents invite him), I'd lock up the rooster before he visits. If for some reason you can't keep him away then keep the rooster out of sight in a dark place during his visit. Tell him it has salmonella or something...

Back
Top Bottom