Would anyone be interested in a short survey about your backyard poultry?

For my agricultural marketing class I am required to survey 10 people about a topic of my choice. If anyone's interested, please answer the following and help me make a good grade! Thank you so much!

Survey on Free-Ranged Domestic Poultry

1.Do you own poultry or have experience with them? Yes No
2.What poultry do you have experience with?
3.How were they housed?
4.Were they allowed to free-range? Yes No Occasionally
5.If no or occasionally, how were they contained? Were they cooped? Did they have a
tractor? Did they have a yard? Please describe:

6.If free-ranging was allowed, what do you consider the pros of this method?

7.What are the cons?

8.Were the poultry raised for egg production, meat production, or something else?

9.If for egg production, did free-ranging affect the quality of the egg? Please describe:

10.If for meat production, did free-ranging affect the meat? Please describe:

11.Overall, do you believe free-ranging benefits the birds? Please describe:

Please answer the ones that apply to you! Thank you again!
1: Yes, currently own.

2: 12 hens, 3 roosters, and 2 ducks.

3: Coop made from pallets with 8X8X8 enclosed pen and 50X50 fenced in yard.

4: Yes, from 7am till they decide to go in the coop.

5: At night they sleep in the coop and the 8x8x8 pen is locked with a top. During the day they are out and about in the fenced in part of the yard.

6: Pros would be they LOVE it. When let out in the morning they run and fly around the ducks go crazy. Also grass from what I read is very good for them.

7: Cons would be predators. No top on the fenced in part. It is 4' tall but just this week we had a hawk come in and stand off with my rooster. We also saw a BALD EAGLE close by eating its supper. None of mine thank goodness.

8: Egg production and pets.

9: Not sure if the free ranging helped or not. We are newbies and had 3 dogs wipe out our first flock. They were only laying for a few months. These have not started yet.

10: N/A

11: I do believe it benefits the flock. Having them "cooped" up all day gives no exercise and little space for them to move around and spread their wings so to speak. We have a few now that come and jumps in our lap to take naps when we get home from work. Free ranging gives space for us to go in and socialize with them. The whole family enjoys it. Really is the best part of my day to go in with them and relax.

Back
Top Bottom