Would anyone be interested in a short survey about your backyard poultry?

For my agricultural marketing class I am required to survey 10 people about a topic of my choice. If anyone's interested, please answer the following and help me make a good grade! Thank you so much!

Survey on Free-Ranged Domestic Poultry

1.Do you own poultry or have experience with them? Yes
2.What poultry do you have experience with? Chickens
3.How are they housed? My husband built them a very large coop, nicknamed the Barred Rock Hotel.
4.Were they allowed to free-range? Yes, with supervision to protect them from predators.
5. If no or occasionally, how were they contained? Were they cooped? Did they have a tractor? Did they have a yard? Please describe: When not foraging on our property, they are able to walk into their large, fenced, attached chicken yard to scratch around, sun bake, get water or dust bathe as they wish.

6.If free-ranging was allowed, what do you consider the pros of this method? They may eat what the like, get additional excercise, add bugs to their duet, we get to interact together, they learn their yard boundaries, they consider us part of their flock, they respond to food 'training' (Girls, come over here. Girls? *shake bucket or wave treat laden paper towel* Pretty soon, they're coming without the extra nudge just to see what you have.)

7.What are the cons? Not seeing a downside to happy chickens...

8.Were the poultry raised for egg production, meat production, or something else? Eggs & the general delight of watching "chicken tv."

9. If for egg production, did free-ranging affect the quality of the egg? Please describe: Our girls all eat organic feed, get good treats & the free ranging only ices the cake...compared to store bought eggs of unknown age & from hens treated who-knows-how. So yes, mine are better.

10.If for meat production, did free-ranging affect the meat? Please describe: Sorry, we don't eat our babies. Ok if others do, but we don't.

11.Overall, do you believe free-ranging benefits the birds? Please describe:
They use 100 % of their brains, so being able to get out, free range, experience a lot of changing scenery and still feel safe sound like good practices for my girls' mental & physical health.

Please answer the ones that apply to you! Thank you again!

1. Yes.

2. Chickens, ducks & quail.

3. We made a shed especially for the chickens & duck, with a run attached to it for if we need to lock them up.

4. Yes.

5. We had a run for them on the rare times we had to lock them up.

6. It made them all happier & they would fight less.

7. They would sometimes get caught in plants, it would be hard to find them all, they would lay their eggs in weird places & it is easier for predators to get them.

8. They were raised for pets & their eggs.

9. Yes, they tasted better than store bought eggs & were darker in color.

10. I don't know.

11. I don't know, we have always free-ranged them. On the rare occasion we had to lock them up though, they would get almost depressed.

1.Do you own poultry or have experience with them?
Yes
2.What poultry do you have experience with?
Just chickens at the moment, but have had ducks in the past.
3.How were they housed?
Most of my adult birds are housed in a 12x8 shed built earlier this year, though I have a smaller coop and several grow out coop/run combos. Planning for covered breeding pens next year.
4.Were they allowed to free-range?
Yes (Once they reach maturity they are free range)
5.If no or occasionally, how were they contained? Were they cooped? Did they have a tractor? Did they have a yard? Please describe:
N/A
6.If free-ranging was allowed, what do you consider the pros of this method?
Birds seem happier and healthier when allowed to roam, there is less tension between birds when they can spend time apart. Feed costs are reduced due to foraging.
7.What are the cons?
Danger of predators.
8.Were the poultry raised for egg production, meat production, or something else?
Eggs and for the enjoyment of having chickens. I sell some pullets and I do process extra young cockerels, but never birds that have become members of the flock.
9.If for egg production, did free-ranging affect the quality of the egg? Please describe:
I believe that allowing the hens to forage makes the eggs taste richer, as well as giving brighter yolks and more nutritious eggs.
10.If for meat production, did free-ranging affect the meat? Please describe:
N/A (cockerels are fattened in a large run)
A free ranged bird is happier; even a large run is a cage, freedom to roam is an important part of life. The risk of predation is always present but if one is careful and takes steps to protect their flock as much as possible, free ranging can be achieved in a sustainable way.

Good luck with your class project. I hope this helps.

Yes

I have done Agriculture in School and College, though mainly focused with chickens, sheep and cattle, I do have some experience with ducks from my work experience. Also I currently own a flock of living cottonballs, also known as Silkies, have a bunch of Chinese Painted Quail as pets which I am breeding, and once owned a Polish Bantam hen in the past. :p

3.How were they housed?
My silkies sleep in the kitchen of our house, being spoiled fluffballs, the active ones perch on the chair, while the lazy ones perch on a branch on the floor.

Yes, they are allowed to free range on the back yard. :) They get let out in the morning, between 7-8 am (depending if they let me sleep in, rarely 9 am) and usually come back in between 7-9pm.

5.If no or occasionally, how were they contained? Were they cooped? Did they have a
tractor? Did they have a yard? Please describe:

They get the exercise and enrichment they need and enjoy the open space and fresh air, as well as pecking around for their scratch and bugs. It also wears down the claws and beaks so they won't have any problems regarding overgrown claws and beaks.

7.What are the cons?
We used to have grass on our yard... Used to. :lau
They are also more vulnerable to predators, but so far even with a buzzard of some kind in our area, we haven't had any incidents other than the chickens getting spooked.

8.Were the poultry raised for egg production, meat production, or something else?
They are kept as pets, with the eggs as a bonus.

9.If for egg production, did free-ranging affect the quality of the egg? Please describe:
Lets just say, I can't eat store brought eggs again. They are super bland in comparison to my Silkie eggs which are super rich and creamy in taste. :drool

It improves their health and well being, and they can express themselves naturally by dust bathing, sun bathing, pecking around, hunting and foraging. And happy, healthy hens lay delicious eggs.

1.Do you own poultry or have experience with them? Yes No
Yes

chickens

3.How were they housed?
The current flock has a a coop and a mobile run

4.Were they allowed to free-range? Yes No Occasionally
Occasionally until it was certain the dogs would not be a threat to them. Now they are free range during the day. We work from home, there's a lot of keeping track. The most alarmed the chickens have been was when a 7 week old kitten got out of the house and was in one of their scratching areas. <G>.

5.If no or occasionally, how were they contained? Were they cooped? Did they have a
Until we let them free range they were in the coop at night and in a mobile hoop style run (tractor) during the day. This allowed me to move them around the property.

Bug control!!! lots of scratching up in areas that benefit from that, nice distribution of high nitrogen fertilizer, happy chickens, wonderful eggs, lower consumption of commercial feed (the least important concern to me).

7.What are the cons?
Ordinarily, predation would be a huge risk. We are fortunate that we do not have neighbors with stray dogs, we live on a lightly traveled road that is out of the chickens range. Our dogs keep the local predators away from the house. We are not in an area frequented by raccoons, fox etc. The coyotes, hawks and eagles have abundant easy prey and do not come close to the house. The chickens go to roost just as the light fades and the coop is then secured; this eliminates a lot of concern for their safety.
Honestly, the biggest con for us is chicken poop on the deck. That is easily remedied with a broom or a hose <G>.
Occasionally we will have guests with dogs and will have a "keep your dog leashed" policy. (Some dogs will do whatever it takes to break into a chicken run.)

Originally the intentions were in this order: grasshopper control, manure production, the eggs a welcome extra. Bonus: I couldn't garden this year due to health restrictions. The chicks kept me occupied at a level I could handle - watching them grow was amazingly therapeutic.

Absolutely! The eggs have very hard shells, dark yolks and a wonderful flavor. Until ours started laying we had bought either commercial eggs or local eggs, neither were from free range hens. Big difference in flavor and overall quality.

We are not raising meat birds but in prior life experience, free range chickens have better meat texture and flavor than do confined chickens.

Happy Chickens! The birds are not stressed due to space limitations. We have 13 acres bordered by 80 acres of BLM land and ranch land on the other but the chickens stay in the area around the house and gardens. They have not decimated any area, including that in their coop or run. They choose where and when to roam, to shelter, to chase bugs. They have multiple dust bath sites, can dig in the garden beds for worms etc. They choose which flock mates to hang out with. The low bird in the pecking order is not as vulnerable as she would be were they confined.

Please answer the ones that apply to you! Thank you again![/QUOTE]

For my agricultural marketing class I am required to survey 10 people about a topic of my choice. If anyone's interested, please answer the following and help me make a good grade! Thank you so much!

1.Do you own poultry or have experience with them? Yes starting in the 1960's & in many states i have owned chickens 2.What poultry do you have experience with? Chickens, guinea fowl,ducks, geese.
3.How were they housed? hen houses in general for night time only, free ranging mostly if possible, once my flock of rescued chickens lived in a tree. in fla.
4.Were they allowed to free-range? Yes totally..!
tractor? Did they have a yard? Please describe:my birds are always live free.

6.If free-ranging was allowed, what do you consider the pros of this method? its great my birds are always happy and live together well, no fighting or illnesses they stay healthy have sun shine & rain , its a full life for them having access to what ever foods are best for their health.

7.What are the cons? i never had a problem with free ranging my birds, in all the years i had chickens .

8.Were the poultry raised for egg production, meat production, or something else? its always been different , i had a horse farm it just needed some chickens running around to be complete..! next place i lived i recused chickens & the eggs were just a nice repayment. after that it was hard to live with out some chickens running around they always make me happy and my land seem more alive with chickens running around their eggs were just an added plus, this last time we bought breeds for their beauty, many different breeds & to mainly experience their individual personalities & all the ranges of coloring and patterns, then we ended up with to many eggs, the eggs were never the reason we got chickens, it was almost amazing how many eggs we ended up getting & could not use & so we gave lots of eggs away to poor families & so many other people wanted egg s & its turned into a business from the love of chickens & now lots of people are happy we have our chickens.! like we are , they have become for us the chicken that laid the golden egg..! HA.
9.If for egg production, did free-ranging affect the quality of the egg? Please describe:free ranging is the only way i have ever kept chickens & never any other way i feel its the best way for them, and the eggs are always amazingly good..!!.

10.If for meat production, did free-ranging affect the meat? Please describe: never would we harm our chickens, they are like family and will retire with full benefits for life , they have paid their way ..! and made our life complete.! what more could one ask for..?? maybe a talking chicken , that would be interesting what we could learn form them..? : )

11.Overall, do you believe free-ranging benefits the birds? Please describe: yes its the way nature intended and will keep your birds Happy and in turn healthy , i feel you cant over look the benefits of living a free life & being happy & the many foods herbs grasses bugs and all sorts of healthy important things out in nature for any animal & available to your birds only by free ranging mine are all back by 7 pm all in bed safe and sound then i go out to lock them up good & tight & say good night , O and like others have said we to use to have a lawn HA :lau :lol: :p
i hope this helps you, have a great day & THANKS for being interested in poultry & its important that others understand more about them : )
Please answer the ones that apply to you! Thank you again!

Last edited:
Here you go @Tapioca:

1.Do you own poultry or have experience with them? Yes No
Yes, for just over a year now.

Chickens including chicks, pullets, hens and roosters

3.How were they housed?
We built a 6x12 coop which originally had a dirt floor to run in. We've tried several products for the floor including river rock and sand.

4.Were they allowed to free-range? Yes No Occasionally
Yes, we let them out of coop in the morning to free range, then they head back to coop at dusk and roost themselves. We lock the door after them once they return at night. But we're now building them an 8x16 run to keep them confined for reasons I'll note below.

5.If no or occasionally, how were they contained? Were they cooped? Did they have a tractor? Did they have a yard? Please describe:
No tractor. 6x12 coop at night and more than 1/2 acre to free-range on during the day.

Varied diet and nutrients for birds, reduces pecking and squabbles, provides a quieter place to nest (in coop) when other hens are our foraging, happier hens. Avoid some diseases that might occur when confined in close quarters.

7.What are the cons?
Predators (although we've hand no problems with them). More likely to get worms and require frequent de-worming. Hassle having to open and close the door each day (although they make automated doors, we just haven't invested in one yet). Lots of chicken poop. They refused to leave the coop during the heavy winter we had last year and went a bit stir crazy. Escapee's -- some chicks can clear a 6 foot fence if their wings aren't clipped.

For these reasons, we're building a secured covered run for them reducing their free-ranging time.

Eggs

Ours have always free-ranged so can't compare to backyard chickens that are coop raised, but I will say they have more color and flavor than store bought eggs.

N/A

Yes. I do think chickens that are allowed to free-range, much like their ancestors did, are happier and healthier birds and produce better quality eggs.

Good luck on your class project!

-Yes

- Guineas, Ducks, Turkeys, Quail, and Chickens

3.How were they housed?
- Brooded inside as chicks, then moved out to my converted hog barn pen.

- Yes

- If the weather is going to be terrible, they do get locked in their run, but that's mostly during winter when we get big snowfalls, or in a down pour of rain.

- You feed much less feed. The birds are also healthier I think as they get more vitamins and minerals from all the grass/weeds/bugs they're eating. They seem happier, and you also get much less fighting/conflict when everyone has ample space.

7.What are the cons?
- Predators hands down. You trade safety for freedom.

- Mine are dual purpose, but are mostly pets

- The eggs have a nice yellow, thick yolk and strong shells.

- I've only eaten a duck and some turkeys that I've raised this way, but I do think the meat is more rich and flavorful.

- I think it does significantly. Most of the free range birds I have seen look and act much healthier/happier than birds who are caged/penned their whole lives.

Again, thank you so much. Your input is really valuable. Not only are you helping me in my class, but your input is also influencing decisions I'll be making with my own flock of ducks and other fowl I'll own.

Back
Top Bottom