Would appreciate any assistance in identifying our chickens

Chickybowow

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
We are brand new to raising backyard hens and I suspect we may have a few roosters in the mix. We bought 6 baby chicks from a farm swap a couple months ago. One didn't make it and we has these 5 left. They were all the same size and I think they said they were all 3 weeks old at the time. Now, two of them are considerably bigger then the others, the white one and the orangish one behind him/her. Any idea on breed? We will have to give any roosters back as they are not allowed.

So how old are they in the pictures? I'm seeing all pullets, the first one has a lot of comb but the color looks girly, age will help. We really need profile shots of each bird for accurate sexing.

OK, just went back and checked my records. They are 10 weeks old. I'll see if I can get profile pics pronto. Thanks for replying!

yes, first one looks like a lil roo, cause that's exactly what my lil roo looked like that young.

The next pic looks like lil girls!

my 2 cents, and believe me that is all it's worth!

Pretty birds though!

MB

In the spring, when the feed stores carry chicks, you might want to go buy sex links. I have black sex links and red ones. They lay large brown eggs and they lay a LOT! Sex links are the result of crossing 2 different colored chickens so that at hatching, the females are one color and the males are another color. When you buy sex links, you know you will be raising pullets, not roos that you have to get rid of. I can't have roosters either because I want to stay on friendly terms with neighbors. I live on a small lot in town.

From Ideal Poultry's web site:
Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females. The females are primarily red while the males are primarily white; therefore, the sexes can be separated immediately following hatching. This layer is used in many commercial layer operations. They have excellent livability, and are very efficient producers of large brown eggs. Mature hens will weigh about 5 1/2 lbs. and can be salvaged for fowl meat when their use for laying is over.
Mature males will weigh approximately 8 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom