Would appreciate input on killing a baby - legs don't work

Update:

Ok, so I got an appointment now for Thursday morning to let the vet euthanize it for $27 (that's what they estimated on the phone - we'll see what the final bill is) and I will take my poultry scissors and get some instructions on how to use them properly to sever the head.

May use this baby's body to do a test cut through the neck after it has been humanely put to death. That way I will be more prepared to do the right thing next time and can prevent other unfortunate little ones from suffering unnecessarily.

We'll see how it goes. This new vet I have is very nice and understands people who keep poultry and their issues and I feel more comfortable if he can put the baby down humanely for now and take a look at my dispatch tool and method.

If I could visit one of you and see how it is done, that would be good, too, but you are too far away, most of you. =]

PS: The baby is getting more and more uncomfortable every day and I think it is true what others have posted: the heavier it gets the more it is going to have a chance to be in real pain since it gets around on its hocks rather than on its feet. It is time to end this little life - so sad - much too soon - but better than being in pain und unable to follow the flock, roost, or run from predators or other flock members when they compete for rank.

Update:

Ok, so I got an appointment now for Thursday morning to let the vet euthanize it for $27 (that's what they estimated on the phone - we'll see what the final bill is) and I will take my poultry scissors and get some instructions on how to use them properly to sever the head.

May use this baby's body to do a test cut through the neck after it has been humanely put to death. That way I will be more prepared to do the right thing next time and can prevent other unfortunate little ones from suffering unnecessarily.

We'll see how it goes. This new vet I have is very nice and understands people who keep poultry and their issues and I feel more comfortable if he can put the baby down humanely for now and take a look at my dispatch tool and method.

If I could visit one of you and see how it is done, that would be good, too, but you are too far away, most of you. =]
This is a really good idea...to practice after the vet has helped.

There are videos on YouTube.

Update:

May use this baby's body to do a test cut through the neck after it has been humanely put to death. That way I will be more prepared to do the right thing next time
and can prevent other unfortunate little ones from suffering unnecessarily.

I think that is a great idea! Then you will have an idea what it will take and how it will feel in your hands to use them.

Back
Top Bottom