1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would cat litter be bad to use with chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingdogs, Jan 17, 2010.

1. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband keeps asking me why we can't use industrial grade cat litter in the coop?

We are currently using sand and liking it. We have access to free industrial grade cat litter though. Would it be harmful?

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    The only thing that would worry me is the amount of dust the cat litter might made, would it cause issues with upper respiratory.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i would assume the chickens would eat it thinking its food?

4. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    most cat litters are made of clay and other products that are not edible. I would not suggest using it.

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree with Mountain Sunshine about not using the litter because of its clay mixture, quite possibly it could cause digestive problems for your chickens. In addition to the clay, there are sometimes chemicals put in for odor, clumping and general household use. I idea of industrial grade cat litter is something I've not heard of though, sometimes the word industrial can cause concern.

I would stick with sand. I like it because its easy to clean with a litter scoop.

Mary

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would not use it... they could eat it. And it would block them up...kill them...

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What about using pine pellets? Just a touch of water will break them down into managable mix. Even when slightly damp they don't smell bad. That's the kind of litter I use with my cats and you wouldn't know that I had 3 in the house with litterboxes. No cat smell at all. IMHO cats poo is worse than chickens!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by