Would fighting type chicken breeds help protect the flock?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello guys, a friend of mine has been having issues with her dog. She has an electric fence around the coop, and its throughly predator proofed, but the hens know the grass is greener on the other side. Their boy has gotten 2 chickens in the last 2 weeks. Just opening the door they can run out, and boom, they don't know what hit them.
I was try gin to think of solutions today, and thought of fighting types breeds. I'm wondering if something like a Shamo, Malay, or Asil, would help give some protection. Of course, it won't help escaping chickens, but would a fitting type rooster defend the flock? Even if he sized up the dog through the fence it may help. :confused: Really anything that my give more protection were willing to try. Do you think it would help? I know hatching eggs are available on eBay, and she would love to hatch more eggs this year. Thanks for the feedback!

Ya, I of course don't expect it to solve the problem, but any added protection would be worth it.
If he will only flee, that probably won't help much.
They do have an in ground electric fence with a shock collar for him that surrounds the coop. The problem is when a chicken gets outside the boundary, or his collar doesn't get put back on.
Were starting to work on obedience with a check chain starting in August as well. Thats when were signed up for the canine school.

For now...and maybe the future an actual electric fence to keep them in and him out is a good idea.
They remember a zap to the nose so it's not like he would be getting constantly zapped.

Look at premier one electric poultry fence.

The problem is the dog.
Focus on correcting the dogs behavior.
Dogs kill fighting breed chickens too. Sure it may be a little more difficult, but dogs love the challenge, and this chicken killing dog will win.
Shock collar, hot wire, a more secure run for the chickens, clip there wings if they are flying out, add a top to the run. Tie the dog up......
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom