Would it be horrible/illegal if I...

Quote:
It'll take a few months until they can get out on their own completely...around 4-5 months to be close enough to full grown to fend for themselves entirely. i would let them out to forage after they get out of the brooder, but maybe confine them to a smaller area for the first month or so.

iddybiddy- ticks,fleas, wasp, bees, ants, grubs, yellow jackets, etc. etc. you can't fill their bellies enough with bugs!! They barely ever ate commercial feed around here, they wanted to forage instead.

I can't imagine the property owner getting upset that the guineas eat the bugs on he property...especially if it is not being used. If you are worried, ask the owner. Otherwise, happy bug eating to the guineas!!!
big_smile.png

I don't know your set-up, relationship with neighbors, anything like that. I think I am normally a moral, ethical type of person. I believe in taking care of myself and not inflicting myself on other people. With all that said, this does not feel all that bad to me. I'm in a different set-up and I would talk to my neighbors about it first, but if you are in the situation I think you may be in, I'd go for it as long as you are prepared to accept they can be wiped out by predators or conditions in the not used field may change and you may have to get rid of the guineas. Or someone may shoot them if you can't keep them on your property. If they are going to be in that field that is not yours, you just lost control of the situation. If you can handle that, I'd say go for it.

Actually, I love ticks. I allow them ample time to feed on me, and when they drop off, I have lost a bit of weight. Mosquitoes are also helpful. I'm even thinking of creating a "tick spa" where people can come to lose weight in the summertime. I bet the animal rights organizations would endorse my idea, and might even put up some billboards of scantily clad starlets with lots of ticks on them.

Last edited:
You may have to add to the population from time to time. Or hunt down the eggs and hatch them yourself. Guineas aren't the smartest birds and don't always hatch so well out on their own.

Don't raise the keets with chicks. They start to think they belong together and may come back and want in the coop every night!

I hate to throw the monkey wrench, but...
roll.png

Are you sure it is not State land? Or some other conservation access? If so, it would probably be illegal to introduce an exotic species, or any animal.

Back
Top Bottom