1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would it be horrible/illegal if I...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SarahFair, Jan 24, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I live next to/behind a 50 acre field that hasnt been messed with in at least 3 years. The ticks are HORRIBLE! Would it be illegal or morally wrong if I hatched some guineas raised till they were old enough and let them loose back there to help with the tick problem? Its so bad you could walk even near it and come off with 3-4 ticks on you.

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i would use quail or some wild bird but i dont see why guineas wouldnt work heard they are great foragers

3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    A friend had guinea and they spent all their time in the field and woods and were home at night and in the morning but spent most of their time foraging. They did very well but are a bit noisy. I didn't mind their chatter but I grew up on a hobby farm and she was a city girl.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Go for it ! Start a flock of "wild" guineas & let them multiply!! TOO COOL!! [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Umm guineas have a voracious appetite for creepy crawly ticks, among other things...I had some for 6 months last year, and now have no tick problems. My infestation was similar to yours, but on a smaller piece of land. I think you'd be doing a good thing by getting some to control the pest population if it's that bad. HAPPY HATCHING!!! [​IMG]

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Go for it.. I hate ticks and have thought about guineas but i think my neighbors would kill me...

7. FollowingMyNose

FollowingMyNose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Paulding County Georgia
    Sounds like right the opposite of horrible to me! Wow.... am I ever learning a lot. I had no idea that ticks could be controlled like that.

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well Im going to do it! [​IMG]

I have a friend who has a little girl that loved one of my hatching videos a lot. I think Ill set some eggs up to hatch for a weekend she can come out.

How long do you think it would take till they are grown enough to go out on their own?

9. iddybiddy

iddybiddy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    North, SC
    Do they eat fleas also?

10. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I would think it would be hard to find fleas.. but I honestly dont know.
    I heard planting lavender works for fleas. Im going to try that this year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by