Would it be okay to have a silver appleyard drake with smaller ducks?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
I have a total of six ducks right now ( the oldest are 6 weeks ) and three more coming in May. So far, I only have a buff drake but with the order in May, I was wanting to add an appleyard drake to go with the hen I ordered so I could have purebred ducklings at some point, but I have two runners and khaki campbell hens in the flock. Would a the appleyard drake be too big for them? Would two drakes to eight hens be a good ratio anyways?

I house heavyweight breeds with bantam breeds such as Calls; as long as there is adequate space for each duck, and a correct male to female ratio there shouldn't be many problems.

Would two drakes to eight hens be a good ratio anyways?

A general rule is six females per drake - that is general as each drake may possess more hormonal-based aggression than others. My advice would be to get as little males as possible, and as many females as possible, monitor them and see if any changes need to made.

I have a total of six ducks right now ( the oldest are 6 weeks ) and three more coming in May. So far, I only have a buff drake but with the order in May, I was wanting to add an appleyard drake to go with the hen I ordered so I could have purebred ducklings at some point, but I have two runners and khaki campbell hens in the flock. Would a the appleyard drake be too big for them? Would two drakes to eight hens be a good ratio anyways?
I have 2 drakes and 7 hens, in the spring the drakes are always fighting when together so right now I have to keep the drakes a part. Just thought I give you a heads up. If you get a second drake, I would advise getting more hens if you have room

I have 8 hens and 4 drakes. I don't really have a problem with the drakes fighting. I do however notice that they will sometimes gang up on the females and take turns, one or two will help hold hen down while the one trying to mate gets his position right. They have never hurt any of the hens, (it is kinda disturbing to see though) but I intend to get rid of at least one soon, and any other drakes that hatch from the clutch my Khaki Campbell hen is setting.

Back
Top Bottom