Would love some wisdom as to do with my lethargic 10 month old black sex link hen?

Healer Mama

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
Hi guys! My baby girl is acting lethargic today. Her comb is not as red as usual. She won’t eat or drink at least now, I noticed tonight she wouldn’t. I did the grub test and she attacked and ate like two but she typically goes crazy over them. Any suggestions? She is a 10 month old black sex link. She’s typically the one who doesn’t love to be held in my arms in comparison to the other two and she is just laying here. I separated her from my blue Plymouth and Easter eager and brought her inside. Any suggestions as to what I can do for her?

U might wanna get some probiotic and vitamin mix for her water, and if she's not eating give some mashed boiled egg to see if u can get some nutrition in her. But if she won't eat or drink u may have to syringe feed her for a bit to get her going, I just had to do this with one of my girls, u can make a gruel out of her feed sometimes they may decide to eat it but if not u can make it nice and runny and syringe feed it to her, I've found that if u put it in the blender it's easier to get in a syringe, hope ur girl gets better.

check her poop to see if there are any blood spots or milky white stuff. Those are signs of cocci, and if she does have blood spots or even diarrhea, I would give all your chickens a five-day cycle of Corrid treatment. Here is an article on Coccidiosis symptoms and how to treat them:
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/coccidiosis-your-chickens-what-you-need-to-know/

It's most common in young chicks but just recently I had one yr old hen get cocci, and successfully recover with the use of Amprolium ( an ingredient in the Corrid solution)

I hope your girl doesn't have this, but make sure to check!💜

Update! First of all thank you so much for your help! I kept her in with us that night with probiotics in her water and her feed. In the morning she looked a little more perky but still a little slower on the draw. She’s my quick alert one who beats the other 2 to the treats. I watched her all day she pooped and ate. Today she seems totally fine. Comb is almost back to her color, Although, she hasn‘t laid the past two days. She’s pretty prolific.
What could that have been? It scared me!

Back
Top Bottom