1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would Moving The Roost Down Stop Frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by corliss, Jan 9, 2011.

1. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    My six chickens all are developing what I think are frost bite marks on their combs. I put vaseline on them today but I'm wondering if I should take their roosting pole down and provide small hay bales for them to roost on at night. Currently their 2 X 4 roosting pole is about a foot below the venting. I've tried various combinations of open and shut vents but nothing seems to do the trick. Would they be warmer down lower? And do chickens HAVE to roost at night? This is our first year with chickens and our Connecticut night time temps are in the teens and 20's. They have about 4 inches of pine shavings on the floor and the coop is a raised one so it doesn't rest directly on the ground. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    not sure, but a foot away seems kinda close , can you give them some more distance from the vent or close the vent some. Yes, they do like to roost, that way they can huddle together to stay warm and feel safer. Can you insulate the area they roost in?

3. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Put vaseline on their combs, it will help protect them from frostbite. Reapply as necessary.

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by