would our peacocks try to breed this late

jimmythechicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
mansfield
i dont even know if our male would be able to breed her he is only1 !/2 years old an the hen is 3.we got them on monday an they seem to really like each other they sit on the roost honking at each other then they go face to face rubbing there necks then when she turns her back to him he jumps on her.does this mean anything do know anything about peacocks but we love watching them they are so cute how the look at each other.i dont know if they are just getting to know each other or if they are doing more they stay togeather all day.

Males don't reach breeding age until 2 yrs old. Even then they might not breed so well. Same with peahens they don't lay eggs until 2 yrs old.
There are rare occassions that the male will produce earlier and that a hen will lay earlier but it is rare.

You will see the male display his feathers and do a dance for the hen. then he will chase her and do his thing. You will be able to witness this.

Puffing the neck isn't a mating ritual. It's generally an alarm behavior. I'm speaking only from my experience with my birds. The actual mating ritual is absolutely beautiful. He really works his tail off (no pun intened) to win her permission.
smile.png

2 of my peacocks started breeding at the age of 18 months.....so it is most probable that they may breed that soon... and if u c them mating then make sure the eggs are fertile ,as mine layed all fertile eggs....
i had the same thing happening to my peafowl, they mated without dancing or rituals..... they mated for more than 10 times but fertility rate waz 2/4 ....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom