Would these be a pair of Japanese bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Momma2three, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Momma2three

Momma2three Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I really appreciate everyone's help in identifying these birds. My son is hoping to possibly use this pair for 4-H this year, but we are not sure of the breed, and if indeed they are both the same type of bird. LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the blurry pics. If they are Japanese, I'm guessing their legs are actually too long for quality show birds? Thanks in advance everyone.

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think Japs should have yellow legs. Yours seem to have green.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Japs have really short legs, so they look like they're squatting most of the time.... I would think even a non-SQ Jap would have shorter legs than those. They have the right tail shape though... Hmmm... I'm definitely no help on this one!

But you have the birds, so maybe you should compare them to these here at FeatherSite and make a better judgment. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry//CGD/Japs/BRKJap.html

4. checoukan

checoukan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Columbus, Ks.
    These may have some Jap in them, but they are not full bloods, they are crossed with something. Not sure what.

5. Momma2three

Momma2three Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Thanks to all who have responded. I think you all are right. Must've been cross-bred with another breed. I appreciate everyone's helpfulness!

6. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    Look at Nakins...I have a banty that kinda looks like yours... I was told she was a nakin mix.

7. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

My White Jap Bantam has very short legs. She looks like she doesn't even have any and her tail is full like the roo in your pics. They are really cute, though!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by