Would these breeds get along?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmc, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I am thinking of doing a mix this spring, composed of:

B Rks, RIR, B Orps, Austrlrp, EEs, Red Stars OR Golden Comets.

will have 20 to 25

tx

been pleased w/ rir in the past, though that was all i had and just a flock of 7 hens..................

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They would be fine, espcially if raised to together from chicks. If you get them as adults and put them together they will probably pester each other a little until the pecking order is established, but after that, they would be fine.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    They should be fine if raised together.

If they are not going to be raised together, I would drop RIR from the selection. RIR tend to be highly aggressive, and I've had bad experiences with them - especially having aggression against my EE's.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I introduce grown hens all the time from those breeds into my existing flock of egg layers and all do well. The RIRs I have gotten have been nice whereas the worst were black sex links. The BRks can be a pain, too but not nearly as bad as blk sex links. Red sex links are fine. I have gotten RIRs from several different places like breeders and hatcheries so I have no idea why others can be aggressive. All my RIR ladies are sweet and like my attention.
    I run a flock from 50 up to 150 at a time but mine also are free ranging chickens and only locked up at night. Maybe that is the problem.

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    My flock is RIR, SLW, Red Sex Link, BSL, Light Brahma, Polish, California Grey, GLW, and Ameruacana. The Polish gets picked on occasionally if I don't trim her feathers up, but for the most part, everyone gets along with minimal squabbling [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by