Would this terrarium make a (good) chick brooder?

What breed eggs you hope to get?

I ordered 8 Barred Plymouth Rock from a seller on ebay and I received 10 in the shipment. None were cracked. I just candled last night (about day 8) and it looks like for sure I have 7 growing, 3 look like not developing. Next time I candle, if they aren't growing I'll take them out.

The terrarium idea I think looks just fine but yes I think they will outgrow that pretty quickly. I agree, after raising chicks for years, it is so fun! However, getting them out pretty quickly is a good goal. They start jumping and flexing their wings pretty quickly!

I have used anything from cardboard boxes, to a make shift wooden box, a wash tub, and a dog kennel. As long as you have a heat source, dry bedding, food and water, the little critters are pretty hardy! My go to favorite is the old wash tub.
Hi Kakaruk,
I got bantam Silkie eggs. I ordered 15 from a breeder I found online and got 15, none were cracked. 1 was not fertilized, one unfortunately died around day 5 and one developped fully but never hatched (never pipped internally), I think the little one unfortunately died on day 19 (reason unknown). 12 hatched fine and are doing well (two weeks old now).

I think you are right - even being bantams they will outgrow the terrarium brooder soon. Every morning when they get up they flap their little wings while running around, doing sprints and jumps, and I can see they will definitely need more space soon. Perhaps in about a week I will relocate them into a giant cardboard box I already have.

How exciting you are hatching Barred Plymouth Rocks!
(I candled on day 7 and then on day 14, on day 14 I took the infertile one and the not developing one out.)
Fingers crossed for your eggs :fl
Hopefully they will all hatch :love

Hi Rooster Giddens, thank you!
At the moment I do have a safety cord for the waterer (after the smallest baby already greeted me from the top of it) at one of the hooks from the chains, but hangig a branch for a roost there is an excellent idea!

The chicks are very active, eat and scratch a lot (they really enjoy the pine shaving bedding):
View attachment 2621912
You've got it set up nicely! Enjoy your babies....

Coop's not ready?
Hi aart, coop's not ready yet. At the moment I'm confident I will manage to finish everything in time (babies are two weeks old now). But I'm a bit anxious there could be a total lockdown because of Covid again, that would mean it would be difficult to get replacement screws etc. if something doesn't work out as planned or gets broken when placed.

Back
Top Bottom