1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

would this work for me if I don't want to incubate many eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ticks, May 21, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've heard that R-Com incubators are good, but I have no experience with them. I also know that they are very expensive.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sounds expensive to me. The Brower top hatch is only $130 and it holds up to 3 dozen eggs. I've seen many other brands/types of incubators for less than that little one. It maybe worth buying the bigger ones and only putting in the few you want.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    156 bucks?!? No way!
    Get a nice Hova preset and go to it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If you're feeling savvy.... maybe you could build yourself a small bator from a small cooler instead of the huge one I built [​IMG] Miss Prissy has made a breadbox bator [​IMG] Would be cheaper [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Well it says that all you have to do is put in eggs and change water. I really think that if I tried it with a manual incubator I would kill all the eggs.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Dont sell yourself, or the technology short.

Like I said, get the Hova Genesis PRESET incubator.
    You dont manully adjust anything and youll save some money. If you dont like incubating you can resell if for a fair price.

8. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    ...and maybe after killing a few eggs you'll become an expert hatcher! Don't worry about killing a few eggs, just jump in and do it! (I shouldn't be talking here...I have a still air hoovabator and my hatches are terrible...although I have only tried it a couple of times so far...right now it is in the closet...I really should pull it out and try it again:>) One day I will know what I'm doing! hahhaa

9. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Quote:With a 1588 it is the same thing. I have not made a single adjustment in over a year. The last time I even looked at my thermometer was about three days ago, I think. I just add water 2-3 times per hatch and that's it. The 1588 costs less and will hatch from 1-42 (chicken) eggs. If you ever want to start hatching more in the future you will not be able to increase the capacity of the R-Com.

Richard

10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    There's always e-bay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by