Would this work to keep my ducks in?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken0Boy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Ok, so I am getting 2 Blue Swedish (Drake & Hen), 1 Buff Hen, 1 Cayuga Hen and 1 Welsh Harlequin Hen. For their aviary I was thinking of a 3x3x3 coop on stilts in a 10x6x6 run and some type of pond from lowes. Is that big enough? Any ideas?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Sounds kinda small for 5 ducks......

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Personally, I think for 5 ducks that is too small. The run can be an okay size if they are free ranging a lot of the time, but the shelter at 3x3x3 is definitely too small for that many.

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Crowing

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Sounds too small for them all

5. They can only free-range 1-3 hours, because we have tons of predators around here. I have to watch them outside. Oh, and how big should the coop and run be if my idea was to small?

6. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:just found an advert (googled houses for 5 ducks, it came up with this

This Standard Ark Duck House / Coop is suitable for 4-5 Ducks.

The Standard Ark Coop offers the following features:

* Large Access Door
    * Sliding Pop-Hole and Ramp
    * Easy Clean Floor
    * Size = 1.2m x 0.9m x 0.9m (4ft x 3ft x 3ft)

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    IMO, I'd do at least a 4x6 coop, and however more you can add to the run will be better. When their play yard is smaller, they will muck it all up really fast, with poop and splashing water out of the pool.

8. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:completly agree...

9. Ok, so I will revise! My coop I think I could do a 4x6x6 or a 4x6x4 (on stilts) with a 10x15x6 run with a decent size pond. Does that sound good for 5 ducks? And, how should I build a pond for them?

10. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    use "duck tape' to keep ducks "in". [​IMG]

Here is a pic of our duck coop.Its 6'x15'x6' high.revamped from our old coop and run:

[​IMG]

We added a new 4 ' extension space in front,hence the new pallet fence. its now 150sqft.We dont use the coop,cept for the underrun for the ducks secret lair where they are setting on 14+ yeggs.Soon we will add the plastic netting on the front to make sure that they dont fly out.There is a 30 gallon plastic drum sawed in half for their water/pond.They have pine shavings as bedding,and alot of duck mud to waller in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: