Would you be upset if your child's teacher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it's rather rude for her to invite herself to your child's home and to inform you that this is the way it will be. You pay taxes to send your child to public school - it's the school that's public - your home is private. The school should not, without your invitation, conduct school business at your private home.

Yes it IS 30-40 minutes per NITE as you NEED to do the book and one other of the assignments so you don;t have it all piled on on thursday nite.

We get thru it by not letting him having ANY game time (he gets an hour a day) till his homework is done.

She said in the NOTE she is doing this to get to know the home enviroments of her students and get to know their families better. Not trying to be paranoid but I see this as a form of spying on us.

Take it up with the principal. Conferences should take place at the school.

If you cannot change this, when she comes to YOUR house, do NOT invite her inside. If she comes to your house, let her know politely, that her presence is not wanted. Having a conference on the doorstep or driveway, standing with no chairs, no offering of food or drink, and in ANY weather. Next conference with you will be at the school.
wink.png

You have no obligation to let the teacher into your home. I would send the note, saying that you need a classroom conference; afterall, that is where all your child's work should be.

I've never heard of a teacher doing this, and I find it a little strange. I would talk to some of the other parents to see what they think. I would also ask at the school if this is standard procedure. I think that any principal or teacher would be uncomfortable with this scenario. If I were the principal, I would feel that it would put both my teachers and students at risk. All you need is one wack job parent for the situation to go very badly.

Well School starts at 7;45 and is out at 2:35. SO he is up at 6 a.m. and catches the bus at 7 a.m. he is then home at about 3 p.m.

So he has to put the dishes away as his chore 30-40 minutes of homework.DInner is at 6 and bed is 8 p.m. Yes I DO think it too much homework.I don't mind the reading, I MIND the busy work of handwriting and math. Come on you have him for 6.5 hours already.I especially mind as he already HAS better handwriting than his 11 yr old sister and needs no help with the math.I just see it as BUSY work and I resent it encroaching on OUR time.

I'm sure a refusal to cooperate will raise more red flags to her than if you welcome her to your home. I guess I just don't get what the big deal is....look at it as a way to get to know your child's teacher better.

Quote:
Sorry, I misinterpreted the original post I guess. If it's that much homework every night, then yes, it is too much for a child that age.

And I am still against the home conferences. If a child develops specific problems, then perhaps a home visit would be in order. But not on a general basis.

Quote:
I don't think that they meant it like that. Reading is good. I am not required to read a book everyday for homework and I can read. I am going to high school after next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom