Would you be upset if your child's teacher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
Decided ALL her conferences would be at her student's houses?

I am Hopping mad, so I think I probably need to be clamed down,My Dh said ... I will write a response.

Anyway, my 6 yr old son is in 1st grade and I have not been thrilled with teacher from the get go.But on fri with his weekly work a note came home saying ALL conferences would be at YOUR child's house. Then had a sign up with times.

UH no, she is NOT coming to my house for a conference. My back is up to think I have to clean up my house to company standards for this.It feels like a further encroachment on MY time.

What is she thinking, since this is also a possible danger for her and a liability possibly for home owners. This is my second child, my oldest in middle school.I find myself often annoyed with their structuring and butting in on our time.
It is possinle I a m making more of an issue of this than I should because I am annoyed with the amount of homework.

He has to read a small book every nite 15-20 minutes and on a weekly basis he needs to do a handwriting sheet (10-15 minutes) and a math sheet (20 minutes) and some weeks he also has a science sheet. SO he has betweeen 30-40 minutes Mon- thur. I think that is too much. But I have kept quiet.This was the final straw for me.

Is my anger out of line?

I know alot of parents will disagree but I think that much homework for a 6 year old is just ridiculous!!! My 8 year nephew spends 90 minutes every night on homework. Is there ever any time to be a kid anymore??

ETA: No I would not want my childs teacher at my home. The school is the place of business and that is where the conference should be held.

Last edited:
You have the right to be mad and annoyed. I would feel the same way. That seems like a alot of HW then I had in 1st grade. I had about alot less of HW each night!!!! My HW for 1st grade was usually a little of math, color a picture, and a couple other things that took 5 minutes. I hope you figure it out!!!!!
hugs.gif
Btw what does it matter to have the conference at your house? Why can't she does have it at the school? That is where the conference is always suppossed to be held.

Last edited:
Never heard of such a thing. Here they are all at the school. How could the teacher possibly have time to go to each students home??? I would contact the principle and see whats up???

There is a teacher in our district that goes around to each student's home before the school year starts to meet them and their family. I don't see anything wrong with it. A student's in school preformance is often directly linked to their home life so I'm assuming she sees this as an opportunity to know her students better. My kids had that much homework when they were that age 20+ years ago.....I'm surprised he doesn't have more.....my grandkids do.

for my middle child, all the conferences where held in the home as she went to a special needs school. other than that, all conferences have been at the schools.

i would write her a note and calmly explain that you feel an 'at school' meeting would suit your needs better. end of story. and then end the note with, "Thank You, Name."

The 30-40 minutes of homework per WEEK isn't so bad to me. Gets kids into the habit of studying.

But to insist that conferences be held at the student's home? Way out of line! I wonder if your school district actually approves of that?

I agree, that is too much homework on a daily basis for your son's age. My 4th grader doesn't even have homework on a daily basis unless there is something he didn't finish in class. We are blessed with a teacher who believes kids this age need time to be KIDS, play outside, do small household chores etc. There is more to learn about life then homework.

Regarding the conferences in each childs home? That just seems weird to me. Why is she wanting to drive all over town to do this? Some reason that she wants to view each childs living conditions? Just seems odd to me.

Edited to add:

Re-read OP's post, if it's 30 to 40 minutes of homework PER WEEK then I don't think that's out of line. PER DAY is to much.

Last edited:
My little sister gets about 3 - 4 hours of homework a week, gets it all done and still has time to play
smile.png
, lucky she has me, my brother, mum and dad all willing to help the moment she want it, so its not so bad.

As for the house confrences, thats slightly weird, but i think she it trying to make it move convinient for you to fit it around everything else. And like other have said, to get a better background look at her students.

I don't really consider the reading bit homework.

As for a conference in my home. NO WAY, NO HOW.

If she is unwilling to have it at the school, I would speak to the principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom