Would you complain? PIC ADDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Northwood Silkies, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    Would you complain if you bought a $100.00 bird (Well, actually $160.00. If you want to add the shipping fee) and it had bugs really bad and I mean BAD to the point they are crawling all over you? [​IMG]

I bought a Lavender Silkie from a well known breeder (I won't mention names) and I didn't notice the bugs at first but when I decided to give her a bath and when she was wet she had so many bugs they were actually crawling all over me, all over the floor and the bird looked like it had changed from a Lavender color to Salt & Pepper color ( Not really but it's the way it looked because of all the dead bugs, bug feces, etc). I even took pics!

I'm so disappointed & ticked at this breeder [​IMG]. At least he/she could have taken the time to debug the dang bird before shipment. Do you think I should say something or do you think this just comes with the territory with buying birds?

Not only did I have a problem with the bugs. The bird was shipped overnight and the breeder didn't even put any type of water source in the shipping box, no fruit, no nothing!! and the birds nails were so long they were actually curling and had poop/mud balls formed at the end of some of them. One nail actually broke off during shipment and started bleeding.

I mean, I understand some people have a lot of birds and with winter ending and spring starting there are a lot of mud and etc and it's impossible to keep every bird clean but "come on" you can't at least debug and cut toe nails before shipment if it's that bad? After all, I only paid $100.00 for the dang bird, that's not enough investment for ya to at least take care of the bird prior to shipment. God forbid, to use up a little of your debugging spray, dust whatever you use. (If you debug your birds at all) and take not even 5 mins of your time to cut toe nails.. [​IMG] Sorry, had to VENT a little.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    I would absolutely complain, if that poor chicken was in that condition the others are to, thats terrible

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Absolutely complain. There is no excuse for any chicken to be in that condition, much less ones selling for $100.00! I would be ticked to get a FREE chicken in that condition.

4. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    Here is a pic of her wet after I gave her a bath. You can see all the black looking bugs. It almost looks like a black ticking on her feathers but it's the bugs. I just frontlined her tonight and will Ivermectin her in a few weeks.
    I will be contacting this Silkie breeder about this but I know he won't do anything about it. He probably won't even respond.

[​IMG]

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Personally... I'd post the name of the breeder here so that no one else buys from them! That's horrible!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I would certainly mention it. [​IMG]

7. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    I think you got ripoff.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:[​IMG] Maybe that'll teach them a lesson!

9. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    sorry about your purchase price, but fortunately this little silkie has a new owner that CARES!

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:Not something you want to do on this forum. I would hate to have to moderate it.

Now what information is passed over PM and off the public board is your business. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by