Would you eat a chicken that died through sickness, or injury?

Pics
I’ve read all of this very interesting thread. A view for each individual.

I would not eat either...at this time anyway. I would be willing if food ever got scarce, but I’m thankful I am not to that point yet and hope I never am. But if that time ever comes, I will scrutinize each situation with mine and my family’s health in mind and go from there. First and foremost, I like to eat, plain and simple. I’m not a fan of starving, but I wanna stay healthy and alive too!

Not just Boo but Boo hoo rofl.gif

I'll interject two comments, sort of on topic.
It's not only about eating the meat from a sick or infected critter, it's about handling and preparing the carcass, which is highly unlikely to be done with gloves and protective apparel, so any tiny cut on the hand (a hangnail even) is a place for pathogens to enter the cook.
Also, cooking doesn't inactivate prions, true, but a point to consider. We have chronic wasting disease in deer very close to where we live, and venison is off my menu for now!
Mary

Last edited:
I'll interject two comments, sort of on topic.
It's not only about eating the meat from a sick or infected critter, it's about handling and preparing the carcass, which is highly unlikely to be done with gloves and protective apparel, so any tiny cut on the hand (a hangnail even) is a place for pathogens to enter the cook.
Also, cooking doesn't inactivate prions, true, but a point to consider. We have chronic wasting disease in deer very close to where we live, and venison is off my menu for now!
Mary

I've never been able to figure out why wildlife officials tell people who kill a raccoon and want it tested for rabies to bring it to them, instead of picking it up themselves. I mean if it's potentially hazardous, why tell people to handle something that could infect them? Doesn't make sense.

Just curious. Do you know if the area near you with deer CWD has high manganese soil? Some guy researching CWD found the soils in the CWD clusters he studied to be rich in manganese.

Back
Top Bottom