Would you get hens using craig$list?

kuulgrl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Central Michigan
Hi! I'm finishing up building a coop. And looking for hens in my down time.

As much fun as it would be to start with chicks, our family has decided that it would probably be better to start with full size chickens this close to winter. We just don't have the room right now to care for chicks in the house.

Since I'm new to this I thought I'd search craigslist. I'm waiting on a call back from one guy and might contact another if this falls through. I have a short list of questions to ask (I can post after church) and was wondering if this group had any they can think of.

I'll do a full introduction post before long too. Thank you for your help and time!

Welcome to BYC.

In my view, the better strategy would be to get some pullets at near point of lay. Pullets around 14-20 weeks of age. You'd start out with young stock and enjoy them.

I would not likely go hunting on Craigs for hens. The risk is much too high that the birds may be quite a bit older than what you are told. Go with young birds and you'll not regret it.

The health of the chicken is the most important item. If the craig's list bird does not look "good" walk away! You can ruin your desire to have chickens if the first experience is a bad one. I am having a little trouble with mites now, a dark scab on the comb, you can also check feather quality from a long way off, take some time with the birds before you buy, are they sneezing........listless......or do they appear to be alert and bright eyed. I have just imported a trio from another farm and have them in "quarantine" for four weeks, about 50 yards from my other chickens.

John

Here are a few things to look for when buying "used" chickens.
Don't buy from someone who won't let come to there house and see the living conditions. They want to meet somewhere else. RED FLAG
Don't buy from very dirty runs, lots of feces, WORMS
After holding birds, do you feel like itching or creepy crawly things on your skin. MITES, take hand sanitizer with you.
Are they well feathered? MOLT OR MITES OR LICE,
Buy young birds, less than 2 years old. ASK HOW OLD THEY ARE.
How many eggs do they lay per week. LESS THAN 4, LEAVE THEM THERE. unless they are young.
Combs nice and red, NO BLACK SPOTS or PALE IN COLOR
Do they look well nourished or SKINNY
Are they bright eyed or DROOPY
SNEEZING, LISTLESS, SWOLLEN FEET, BUMBLEFOOT HAS A BLACK SPOT ON BOTTOM OF FOOT.

BYC. The greatest chicken site ever !
bow.gif

Welcome and enjoy.
welcome-byc.gif

Steve.
cool.png

I don't know if you should trust Craigslist, we found two ducks on Craigslist and when we went to get them one was dead and the other died about two weeks after because all they have her was bread for her first eight weeks.

This is not daisy but is a duck that was abandoned in a pond near our house and my father brought her home, though she died a few days after from sickness.

Thank you everyone! I'm hoping to spend 20-30 minutes with the chickens on tuesday to decide.

He has 9 he is selling, but I'm only looking for 6 for now. Five of them are 6 months old (isa browns)

I have no problem walking away if needed. Thanks again! I'll post how it turns out. ;-)

welcome-byc.gif
hope your first experience with craig's list is a good one. If you go to "where am I , where are you," in the social forum you can locate and post on your state thread. You may find local people selling the breeds you want also.

When you have 20 posts you can participate in the BYC Buy-sell-trade forums and maybe find something special there.

Back
Top Bottom