would you keep this job

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mikensara, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    I love my job and co workers and even my boss is fantastic and pitches in to help out her employees. I worked 2 shifts on saturday and both didnt go well and i was in tears but sucked it up put on a smile and trudged along. My boss did help me so i still wasnt there at 3 am and was able to leave by 1 am.

We have not been paid and she keeps promising we will be paid soon. I have been there 3 weeks now. I also have to get after her for my schedule. Yesterday she gave me 50$ towards my pay thats owed and told me she appreciates me very much.
    I decided i am going to finish out the week and not ask her for a schedule and let her sink or float. I cant afford to keep paying for gas and such and havent even paid my sitter yet because i am waiting to get paid myself.

2. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    If you were looking for a volunteer job, it sounds great!

But it's better to be a carpet layer than a carpet, if you know what I mean. I'd be looking for a new job.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I would report her. Even if she is nice. She's using you and getting away with free labor. My sister went thru a simular situation. He boss was so nice and kind, but kept not paying, always had an excuse, ect ect... Well, that is not nice or kind. That is free labor. She owes a paycheck. IF she can't pay you what she owes you, she shouldn't have hired you, and she shouldn't be putting a round about guilt trip about asking for your pay. YOU shouldn't have to ask for your pay. She shouldn't be using your pay to pay for her bills or what ever. SO, don't finish out the week unless you have a paycheck that won't bounce put in your hand for the 3 weeks she owes you. Take it to the bank to cash before you start your shift. Cash it and then consider finishing the week. I personally would get the check, cash it, and quit. If I didn't get the check, I would contact the proper authorities.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Three weeks without pay!?! That is a little excessive, if it was a day or two, no big deal, but 3 weeks? All the while, you're still working and racking up more hours she can't pay. Something doesn't sound right about this and I don't think it's going to end well. [​IMG]

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    It doesn't sound so great, mikensara! Take the advice of others on here. I'd get out (preferably with pay) even if she is nice, it doesn't mean she wouldn't use you -- she is right now.

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Ideally, get that check in hand -then give immediate notice.

No future employer is going to fault you for bailing on a promise-but-no-pay job.

Also, be nice when you walk out the door - just as she has been nice to you.

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    You've worked the shifts she's asked of you. You've gone three weeks without a paycheck and unless she's only paying her employees once a month (which some places do - i.e. OK state) there's no reason for this. Did she tell you she'd pay you daily, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly when you interviewed or hired on? If it was bi-weekly, then there's a chance you caught them between pay periods, but still you should've had at least a small paycheck by now! You've got bills to pay too! Unless you're Bill Gates or one of his kids, there's no way you can afford to keep working there under those conditions.

Think about how many other's she's possibly done this too and gotten away with it... she needs to be reported to your Dept of Labor.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that enough is enough unless back pay is forthcoming.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:x2

Paying in cash makes me think that she did not hire you "on the books," and therefore is not paying taxes, fica, unemployment, etc. Have you ever asked or been told what the pay schedule is (dates and frequency)?

Some employers pay in arrears, meaning that you are only paid after you have worked. Others pay upfront, meaning that you are paid and then work the hours. Depending on the size of the company, doing payroll can take awhile (much less with computerized systems), so sometimes at startup you can go for awhile without an initial paycheck, but all of that should have been explained when you were filling out paperwork for the job.

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:Get with your local labor board & report this person! She's not just doing this to you--you said "we have not been paid." Round up your co-workers & register a complaint; get your money NOW & stop working for free. Shoot, times are tight everywhere, but not paying people for an honest days work is wrong AND against the law.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by