Would you put a translucent panel on a chicken coop roof?

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
Louisiana
12 hens

I am putting a, slanted front to back, tin roof on my 8x8 coop.

Ugggg…..I need just one more piece of 12’ long piece of tin to make it complete.

I have 6 sheets of translucent polycarbonate roof panels in my shop.

Is it a good idea to put a sheet of the translucent panel on the roof of a coop?
I am not for sure because of the light it will bring into the coop? Am I overthinking this?

Your thoughts?

If you are only needing one piece, it could make a great skylight. We have a translucent panel in our run roof and on the front of the coop.

20200122_131747.jpg

Well….I think I am gonna try it.

I only need one sheet to fill the pattern and if the hens don’t like it, I can always paint it white on top.

As far as the sun/heat goes, the coop is under 3 oak trees and gets deep shade from 11-3.

I have prob more than enough ventilation with two screen windows on the side and a double screen pull up section on the front side as well as screened gaps between the rafters and tin roof.

This should be interesting….

My worry and concern is moving towards the river silt I laid in the 16x24 run. I unloaded it as dirt but it dried out to be fine sand. From what I read, fine sand is not good for the hens? I may have to add a top layer of something but I don’t know what?

Well….I think I am gonna try it.

I only need one sheet to fill the pattern and if the hens don’t like it, I can always paint it white on top.

As far as the sun/heat goes, the coop is under 3 oak trees and gets deep shade from 11-3.

I have prob more than enough ventilation with two screen windows on the side and a double screen pull up section on the front side as well as screened gaps between the rafters and tin roof.

This should be interesting….

My worry and concern is moving towards the river silt I laid in the 16x24 run. I unloaded it as dirt but it dried out to be fine sand. From what I read, fine sand is not good for the hens? I may have to add a top layer of something but I don’t know what?
Sand is not inherently bad, but coarse wood chips would likely work better for you.

Back
Top Bottom